Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My PC freez-up when I visit certain websites

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 paljoey

paljoey

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:31 PM

One is a photo uploading provider. Another one is on-line computer parts store.

I belive the problem is due to my computer too old. But which part of it needs up-grade?

Here is what I get: CPU: Pentium III 550, RAM: 384M, the video card is Voodoo Banshee. (I suspect it causes the problem. But I need your advise.) OS: Windows 98.

My computer works fine with all other websites. Only it will go frozen when I am at the two mentioned sites.

How to fix? Which part of my computer need up-grade (to solve the problem)? I know a P-4 and XP is great, but P-3 and 98 suit me fine. I am going to keep it for now.

Thanks for you help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 06 May 2005 - 12:00 AM

What browser are you using? Maybe these sites call for a browser plugin e.g. Flashplayer which is corrupted on your system?

You could verify if it is a browser issue by loading a different one (like Firefox instead of IE) and see if you can access those sites then. Ther's no problem having more than one browser on your system, you don't have to uninstall the original.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 paljoey

paljoey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 12:16 AM

It's not browser. I have IE6, and firefox, too. No dice.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 05:55 AM

Can you give us the sites?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 paljoey

paljoey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:08 PM

I don't want to give them free plug. However, here is the two sites:

http://www.picturetrail.com/

http://www.tigerdirect.com/

Thanks for your opinion.

By the way, when I use another PC (Pentium 4 and XP) at my job, I have no problem to excess the two sites. That's why I think I need replace some hardware in my PC. I suspect it is the video card. Thanks again.

Edited by paljoey, 06 May 2005 - 01:13 PM.

#6 Xerxes

Xerxes

• Banned
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:28 PM

Yeah,

Probably a hardware problem - I can visit those sites fine :thumbsup:

Edited by Xerxes, 06 May 2005 - 01:28 PM.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:52 PM

What driver are you using for the VooDoo Banshee? If you have the latest driver I would suggest you roll it back by uninstalling it and installing the driver version that was current when your PC was built. Many times the current drivers are not compatible with the older technology (not that your computer is all that old). If you have a CD that came with the video card try running that or if you prefer post back and we'll try and help you find a driver that was released earlier.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 paljoey

paljoey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:48 PM

The driver is original. I did re-intall it again to make sure it's OK.

Now I think maybe I need to get a new OS. Windows XP. Maybe the current OS (win-98) is the reason for my PC to freeze.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:51 PM

Have you cleaned your temporary internet files lately?

How about scandisk and defrag?

#10 paljoey

paljoey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:54 AM

Yes, I deleted junks in temp folder and internet temp folder. Did scandisk and defrag. Scanded for virus, too. I have Comp. Asst. Anti-Virus.

I'm thinking it might be the web design that made use of extended flash or Java function that is not compatible with my current PC system.

If that is the case, how do I fix?

Edited by paljoey, 08 May 2005 - 08:58 AM.

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:07 AM

Its definetly not a case of your computer being too old. I didn't see any Java or Flash on those two sites.

Go here and click on play the game. That is Flash, and if it works we have eliminated that as the cause.

Go here. Thats a Java test page, and a fun little card trick too. If you can see that then that is eliminated as the problem.

Let us know what happens there.

#12 paljoey

paljoey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:28 PM

The Java worked perfectly. The flash kept asking me to intall some flash player. I refused that. So I didn't get play.

The next couple days I'm going to install Windows XP on a spare hard drive to use it as the master HD. Keep my current hard drive as the slave HD. I'll see if simply switch the operating system gets the job done.

Thanks Leurgy.

Edited by paljoey, 08 May 2005 - 11:37 PM.

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:19 PM

Your welcome paljoey and thanks for posting back.

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns with the new install and the drive.

#14 asobi

asobi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:04 PM

You may want to uninstall firefox. Then retry those sites...or try Netscape and see if you still have these issues

#15 paljoey

paljoey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2005 - 03:03 AM

It was the operating system. After installing the Win-XP, I can access the two sites now. The problem is in the web design. The web is not compatible with the PCs using Windows 98 operating system. Pure and simple.

Edited by paljoey, 11 May 2005 - 03:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users