Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:38 PM

I just have a few questions about some weird things that are happening to my computer. First off, I bought a computer with 256 MB of RAM. Now it only has 248 MB of RAM. Is there a reason for this and is there a way I can fix it? Also, I was burning some files to a CD-RW and all of a sudden, the screen went black. I had to restart my computer. When I turned it back on, and reinserted my disk, it wouldn't read it. I then went into My Computer and found that my CD-RW drive was no longer listed! Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix these problems? Thanks for helping!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 10:54 PM

I bought a computer with 256 MB of RAM. Now it only has 248 MB of RAM.

Do you mean it suddenly changed or you've just noticed it? where do you check the amount of RAM? What operating system do you run?
Do you have onboard video? How much RAM does your video card have? (its the first number that comes up when your computer boots.)

There is a free RAM diagnostic called Memtest86 which you can download from here:
Memtest86

Use it to create a bootable floppy disk. When you reboot with that floppy in the drive it will automatically run a memory test. Let it run at least overnight and then examine the error count.

I then went into My Computer and found that my CD-RW drive was no longer listed!

Shutdown, reboot, power off. Power up after about 30 seconds. Tap the 'DEL' key to get into the BIOS - Can you see your CDRW in the BIOS? If not it may have spontaneously died. They seem to do that with annoying regularity.

Edited by Rimmer, 05 May 2005 - 11:02 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:32 PM

Don't worry about the RAM. Commonly today the bios uses a small amount of RAM for the Video Card RAM. (This is really common onl laptop where the difference is greater).

As for your CD no clu.e

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 05:48 AM

I agree. On board video uses shared Ram and the first 8MB of Ram are reserved for that. You will see it counted correctly when you first boot (the black and white screen) but system properties won't count the first 8MB because its reserved.

They seem to do that with annoying regularity

I've noticed that too. Is this some kind of new XP bug?

Edited by Leurgy, 06 May 2005 - 05:52 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 wemibelec90

wemibelec90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 06:53 AM

Does that mean that my computer actually has 256 MB of RAM or 248? Whenever I go to play a game that requires 256 MB it always says that I don't have enough. Is this what is supposed to happen?

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:34 AM

You actually have 256MB installed on your motherboard however the first 8MB are reserved for your video. Therefore you only really have 248MB useable Ram.

I wouldn't think that would stop you from running those games. Have you tried doing that anyway?

If you were to buy a video card and install it then your useable ram would return to 256MB because the video card would have its own ram chip. The games would play a lot better also, as far as the graphics are concerned.

Edited by Leurgy, 06 May 2005 - 07:38 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 06 May 2005 - 08:17 PM

If you only have 8MB allocated to video memory you wont be able to play many (any?) moderm games. Even the most basic usually expect 32MB video memory.

Whenever I go to play a game that requires 256 MB ..

What game is that? Is it talking about system RAM or Video RAM?

Leurgy's right if you want to play games you better go out and buy a video card.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users