Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cool web search must die

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 confused and angry

confused and angry

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:31 PM

:thumbsup:
I have been violated by a site entitled "Cool Web Search" It comes up as my home page and no matter what I do I cannot change it or find it to kill it. PLEASE HELP!

Edited by confused and angry, 05 May 2005 - 08:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 virusX

virusX

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:37 PM

Hi there and welcome to BC.We need a complete HijackThis (HJT) log file to be able to analyze what is happening on your computer. After you done this please post the log into the forum "HijackThis Logs and Analysis" Forum now let's start.If you do not have a copy of HijackThis or do not have the latest version (1.99.1) then download it from here: HijackThis. Double-click on the file you just downloaded and click on the UnZip button to install the program. It will be installed to the C:\Program Files\HijackThis\ directory by default.

Start HijackThis and click the Do a system scan and save a log button to perform a scan and create a log file. When the scan is complete, Notepad will open up with the log file in it. While in Notepad, press Ctrl-A to select all text and then Ctrl-C to copy the text to the clipboard.
And then post it into the "HijackThis Logs and Analysis" forum

Hope ive helped you

Regard's
Claudio

#3 Gumdrop

Gumdrop

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:40 PM

I'm just a newbie here but here's something I've seen suggested on the AVG forum for "Cool Web Search". Go to www.intermute.com and use the CW Shredder, stand alone version.

Edit: Of course I'd follow the help of the experts here first. Basically, I posted this post
mainly so that one of the experts could tell us if the CW Shredder is a GOOD recommendation or not.

Edited by Gumdrop, 05 May 2005 - 11:51 PM.

. )) -::-
. .))
((. . -::-Kris
-::- ((.*

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 06 May 2005 - 12:10 AM

Gumdrop and confused and angry - From what I've seen CWShredder is the tool you need to use (as long as its the latest version) BUT the order of events and at what point you run it are critical and depend on what else is in your system. The only safe way I am aware of is to have an HJT log analysed by those trained in malware removal, as virusX suggested.

virusX - I think the HJT Team still recommend having hjt in its own folder directly under the C: drive so it would probably help if you can modify your instructions to that effect.

Edited by Rimmer, 06 May 2005 - 12:15 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Gumdrop

Gumdrop

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 06 May 2005 - 12:34 AM

Don't wanna screw up the thread, but want to acknowledge your answer, Rimmer. Thanks!!

The AVG forum has a cleaning system that I've been using when I get Trojans that won't be fixed by AVG. Their system has been working for me. I've been grateful each time I've used it.

Here's the link if someone in-the-know can give us another opinion besides AVG's:

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?4,27725,backpage=

It looks long and complicated, but it really isn't too hard....if I can figure it out, surely ANYone can.

And if I'm not supposed to be posting in someone else's thread, I apologise. I'm still hanging around learning all that I can...please tell me gently if I'm doing anything wrong. :thumbsup:

. )) -::-
. .))
((. . -::-Kris
-::- ((.*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users