Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google tool to speed Web surfing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:44 PM

"Google has introduced a technology designed to make Web sites load faster. A beta, or test version, of Web Accelerator was introduced via the Google Labs technology incubation site late Wednesday. The tool, which must be downloaded, will tap into the power of Google's global computer network and thus help sites load faster, according to the company."Published: May 5, 2005, 8:36 AM PDT By Matt Hines Staff Writer, CNET News.com "Web Accelerator works by sending URL requests through company servers designated specifically for speeding site downloads. The application also can compress site data before sending it to computers. ... targeted specifically at computers with broadband connections; Google said that dial-up customers may not see much improvement using the tool.... To use the application, a computer must have Microsoft's Windows XP or 2000 and at least version 5.5 of Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser or version 1.0 of Mozilla Foundation's Firefox browser. Other browsers running on Windows can be manually configured to run Web Accelerator...."
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:29 PM

It is getting harder and harder just to keep up with all the things Google is starting to do. Thanks to Google the internet in changing and improving every month.
The sad thing is that the dial-up users have a greater need for it than the current broadband target audience; hopefully Google will expand it for them in the very near future. At least it fully supports Mozilla's browsers!
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 05 May 2005 - 09:31 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 10:30 PM

Yes, very neat!

Did you ever see that video about the google in the future? It was a great video on google wish I could find it again.

They are doing great wonder if they will ever publish there own OS?

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 05 May 2005 - 10:31 PM.

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 08:33 AM

This is what makes Google unique. Google keeps coming up with great ideas all the time!

#5 Seth

Seth

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 01:26 PM

well i downloaded it and installed but its not showing up on ie, do i need google tool bar?
Posted Image
We come into this world in birth, and we die and rot into the earth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users