Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewalls

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Java

Java

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:40 PM

Hello, I am probably on the wrong forum, but this is just my 2nd post. Direct to the proper area and I will be happy to repost.

I am trying to learn about firewalls and I have a few ? if it permissible to ask.

What is the primary drawback to hardware firewalls.1 Would it be impervious to tampering-- 2 they often include other functions, such as a cable modem, 3upgrading the device may require it being returned to the vendor --- 4 Do they offer faster performance than may sofware firewalls

when deploying a sofware firewall what must you supply. A internet connectivity b computer hardware c an operating system d a hight speed connectoin

Finally I wwonder wat the most important facto is in maintaining overal security when deploying a software firewall. A scanning for virsuses b documenting the installation process c lots of addional RAM or securing the host system.

Thanks for your indulgence. Again I know little about firewalls.

Thanks in advance!!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:00 PM

Good questions, Java.

I will move "us" to another spot.

So, here we are in Antivirus, Firewall & Privacy Protection ...

I've only used the software type.
I have used:

Agnitum Outpost
Zone Alarm
Kerio
Sygate

The value is in that each can monitor and/or block (at your request or by it's logic) program access to online. Either by programs seeking to connect from your PC to an online source, or the reverse.

Not just a 'download" or "upload" but particular "activity" by programs.

The fact that these firewall programs log the action(s) taken or ignored each day (tirelessly) is also an advantage on occassion.

They fail to be perfect.
They are generally predictable, and if a problem should arise that might
mean they aren't working, you can exit and see if it helps.
You can use your own logic to determine if the problem might have been
provoked, meaning it might just be a good thing that the firewall is fussy.

They stealth your computer for you, concealling what otherwise might be a known presence. They can help prevent information that would otherwise be available to automatic searchs being conducted online from being transfered.

None of that really is prevented any other way.

Anti-virus, anti-spyware and other similar programs can prevent in other ways
the unknown malware that might otherwise get installed.
Some disguises itself in such a way to prevent detection by a firewall.

email attachments and others "tagging" along with legitimate applications doing their normal actions, too.

So, the bases are covered if/only if you run them all.
Firewall
Anti-spyware
Anti-virus
Anti-ActiveX or Java applet downloads.

It's easier than it sounds, but to get the programs to play well together
can sometimes take a little trial & error. So, stick with ones that work for you on your PC. Many are mentioned on these pages. Try them, and if you learn that one isn't working well, try another. The 'harm" done is basically in taking your time to monitor/learn each.

I do not suggest buying a OneSizeFitsAll Program these days.
A couple few years ago, maybe.
Now I say, free is best, and combine 'em.
or pay for one after a full 30 day trial and keep the good free ones working, too.

Edited by phawgg, 05 May 2005 - 09:16 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:19 PM

when deploying a sofware firewall what must you supply. A internet connectivity b computer hardware c an operating system d a hight speed connectoin

A firewall is designed to monitor and accept/deny packets sent between applications on your computer and the internet; consequently you need all but d, since a firewall will work with dail-up access as well:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/compupedia48.html

Finally I wwonder wat the most important facto is in maintaining overal security when deploying a software firewall. A scanning for virsuses b documenting the installation process c lots of addional RAM or securing the host system.

Here is a very good tutorial that will explain how a firewall works, and its place in your overall computer security:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Und...alls-tut60.html

Many people will prefer hardware firewalls, and others will use both a hardware and a software firewall. Since I use only a software firewall, I will leave your hardware questions to a member with more expertise in that area.

I think reading the tutorial will give you a clearer picture of firewall security.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Java

Java
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for your quick replies it is greatly appreciated. This is a good forum board,

I do have one last question, on the last one I asked about, concerning the firewall functioning properly that the tcp/ip option known as ip forwarding must be enabled.
I believe that would have to based on this statement:

"A Protocol is a precise description and format of how two or more entities, whether they are computers or programs, communicate with each other."

Would you agree on disagree?

Thanks

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 07 May 2005 - 01:54 AM

I agree, and when entities are persons or nations or within organizations, the issue of protocol becomes even more fascinating of a study than in computers. :thumbsup:

I'm working on a history project, and recalled something about early use:

1982 February: Sun Microsystems incorporates with four employees, and it's first workstation is introduced.
It includes TCP/IP, now known as the Internet protocol suite.

http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/coinfo/history.html#1982

There is probably much more about it available elsewhere, too.

Other protocols exist that will no doubt also be ones the firewall will learn are acceptable to allow access to as well. Seems one involves this:

http://patent.tange.dk/ziki/EP/5/7/EP579514.html
but I'm still learning.

Networking of two or more computers will likely bring into the picture more,
and I think several of the services in NT-based windows OS have protocols inherant that frankly I have yet to examine/explore/understand fully.

More easy reference to them is in the screenshots available to view here:

among the security agents are easy definitions of what have become known as vulnerabilitiies involving the matter of protocols

Edited by phawgg, 07 May 2005 - 02:02 AM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 Java

Java
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:17 AM

Thanks again, have a good weekend. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users