Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spotbot Search and Destroy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sherryshaffer

sherryshaffer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:20 PM

Spybot Search and Destroy has identified 4 MiniBug entries on my computer for removal. The threats could not be fixed (removed) because the associated files are still in use (in memory). What do I do to take care of them? I have Windows XP Home.

Edited by sherryshaffer, 05 May 2005 - 04:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:40 PM

Usually, if Spybot cannot delete something, you can restart your computer in Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key after the beep as it starts up. It may look a little funny as your video drivers won't be loaded. Once in Safe Mode, you should be able to run Spybot again and delete the offending entries.

I think this is a variant of Weather Bug and you can also check your Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel to see if either MiniBug or Weatherbug are in there and try to remove them.

If this doesn't work, you may want to post a log in the HijackThis! forum. Read the pinned post about "How to submit a Hijackthis log".

And feel free to ask more questions. This is probably something you installed yourself, whether intentionally or inadvertantly. It puts a small weather-reporting tool in your taskbar, and it's adware-supported, which is why Spybot caught it.

#3 caterbro

caterbro

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:46 PM

SB classifies Minibug as borderline software and sometimes will not remove it by default.

delete the %Program Files\AWS folder if it's there, remove Minibug if it is present in your Add/Remove programs, and don't worry about it too much.

remeber that Spybot often will not remove a directory, even if it removes the bad programs in it, and sometimes it's okay to have traces of a program in your registry- as long as the actual program is gone, they might be harmless.

cut and paste the stuff SB is finding in this thread if you like, and I can tell you instantly whether or not you should worry.
Carl
----
Official puter fixer :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users