Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

java applets

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 just-joey

just-joey

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:38 PM

Hi: I want to smash this dang windows program , haha. I have lots of security problems since i went with SP2 that i never had before. this latest one is : when i go to a web site and there's music associated with it, it says my browser is aware of java applets but can't read them. WTF? what am I suppose to do with that?

I see you've listed some free ware also. Can you recomend a good program for file splitting? I have movies I wish to transfer to CD and they are larger than the CD by a 100Mbs or more. How should i split it to put it on more than on CD or any suggestions what i should do- to make the viewing less interrupted? j-j

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Xerxes

Xerxes

• Banned
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:25 PM

Hello,

What browser are you using? :thumbsup:

#3 just-joey

just-joey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:10 AM

IE-6 ( unfortunately)
windows-XP- SP-2

I've tried - shortly- to work with a different browser, such as fire-fox or deep net but had problems and switched back. I dodn't give either a fair trial I know. It's a comfort zone i guess. Joey

#4 Xerxes

Xerxes

• Banned
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:24 AM

Hi,

Have you tried to reinstall JAVA?

#5 just-joey

just-joey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:22 AM

No I haven't tried re-installing java ( and wouldn't I also have to install plug ins?) anyway- How do i do this? I mean where do i get java from , hahha?
I've hated my computer since the install of sp2. I fail to understand how some people have had NO problems with theirs since they got the update.
One day I'm not allowed to download anything, next there's no information bar, etc etc and it goes on and on with the problems. Please tell me more about Java, and where to get it . Is it a Sun product?

#6 Xerxes

Xerxes

• Banned
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:06 AM

www.java.com

#7 virusX

virusX

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 07 May 2005 - 12:26 PM

Hi there.
Java is a program to see speical effects like... flash games etc.
Reinstall Java, and download the newest one from www.download.com
And try again.

I had those problems and few times. Don't worry about it you'll get it right.

Regards,
Claudio

Edited by Papakid, 07 May 2005 - 10:17 PM.

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:04 PM

Hi just-joey,
It sounds to me like there might be more to your problems than java. Have you run all the anti-spyware and other security checks suggested arond this site? See here for a start: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Sim...rnet-tut82.html

Have you run windows update recently? Are you sure your filesystem is not corrupted - Start>Run type "sfc /scannow" (no quotes).

Try the following basic maintenance:
  • Clean your internet cache and temporary files:
    Click Start and Run then type in cleanmgr this will start the windows disk cleanup tool.
    Tick the boxes beside Temporary internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files then click OK

• Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here:
    Safe Mode
    How to find scandisk:
    Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now

• When that's finished do a defrag.
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.
Then try repairing Internet Explorer:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...ress-tut71.html

Finally, what is the exact error message you get when you say

it says my browser is aware of java applets but can't read them

It may be a security setting in IE. (SP2 is supposed to turn on security features which were previously left off.)

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#9 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:42 PM

Hey Joey,
If you didn't have Windows up to date before you installed SP2, that updat may have uninstalled the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine (MSJVM). Lot of legal wrangling between MS and Sun and don't know where they stand now, but at one point the MSJVM was uninstalled by the SP1a update, I believe.

In any event, a fresh install of the Sun JVM is much more secure and usually easy to do. It will plug into IE when installed--at least I don't remember having to do anything special. And with Firefox you would be asked if you want to install the plug-in when you try to open a Java applet so it's pretty painless. I would try a reinstall of Java as already mentioned.

You can check on the status of the plugins before hand to satisfy your curiosity--and mine. :thumbsup: Go to C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files and look for files named Java Runtime Environment. Right click and choose Properties. If the Status says damaged or anything other than Installed then there is your problem. You can right click on these JRE files and then click Remove to uninstall them, but it would be better to Uninstall them thru Add/Remove Programs first if they show up there. Then go back to the DPF folder and remove any JRE files that might be there.

You can download Sun Java here:
http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp

You may have to try the manual download--and if any problems their Help and FAQ links are pretty good.

Let us know how it goes.

And BTW, Java doesn't have anything to do with Flash--that's a whole different plug-in.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users