Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3 problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chrisbondy

chrisbondy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:38 PM

I posted a log in the hijackthis thread and was advised to link the topic over here. The admin who assissted me believed that the 3 problems I'm having are not malware related. I'll post the 3 problems and the link to the highjackthis thread I posted.

1. I followed the steps that were laid out in the "prep guide before posting a hijackthis log" but I was unable to run mcafee stinger. when I attempted to do so, I got the BSOD with the error message: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I also got the BSOD when I attemped to run the Kaspersky online scanner and got the error message:

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: klif.sys
The driver unloaded without cancelling operations.
Technical info: STOP 0x00000004(0xFODD9938, 0x000000FF, 0x0000001, 0x804E2E41)

I've checked the temp of my CPU and it's around 30C. My RAM card was covered in what looked like drywall dust ( I finished my basement last year. I had the computer covered at the time but it looks like alot of dust got in there anyway. Maybe the RAM is damaged?)

2. I keep getting the "Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to shut down" and "Dr. Watson has encountered a problem and needs to shut down"

3. On certain websites I visit, a weird kind of language appears. It's hard to explain. It doesn't fill the entire page because some of the words are in English and some are in this weird language. I'm not even sure if it IS an actual language. when I try to copy and paste it, it then appears in English. I have attached a screen shot of what I'm talking about in .jpeg format. My OS is XP Home and I have Kaspersky 2009 internet security, spybot and Adware. I've run all 3 programs and removed everything dangerous. I've also followed the steps outlined in the prep guide before posting a hijackthis log (except for mcafee stinger).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176457/3-problems/

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:53 PM

Have a look at this thread. particularly Don Pelotas's advice. :thumbsup:

http://forum.kaspersky.com/lofiversion/index.php/t6113.html

Edited by m0le, 06 November 2008 - 12:54 PM.

Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:40 PM

Hi ).

The klif.sys file appears to be a Kaspersky file...with a troublesome nature. See http://forum.kaspersky.com/lofiversion/index.php/t6113.html

What I would suggest (normally) is to uninstall/reinstall Kaspersky and see if that solves a problem of possible file corruption. Alternatively, just switch to a different AV program...there are a ton of them that do the job. The weak link on AV programs...are the users failures to follow basic instructions for maintenance/updating, IMO.

If you have dust in your computer...the wise thing to do would be to eliminate something that is not known to increase the operational capabilities of systems.

Your system could be overheating and causing some of the error messages that you receive.

I cannot comment on what transpires when you visit certain websites...other than the fact that individual websites are known to possess anomalies which do not apply to others. It's your decision as to whether you want to visit such.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechn...7.mspx?mfr=true

Louis

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:02 PM

The second error (STOP 0x4) is most likely caused by the Kaspersky scanner - but there's very little information available about this error code. So, a memory dump analysis may reveal more information. If you'd like, you can use this link to perform an analysis of the memory dump: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/ and post the results so we can have a look at it.

The dump file for the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL may also help us - so please post an analysis of it also. (because of it's also from running an anti-virus product).

Since the second crash was caused by the klif.sys file - and it's a component of your onboard Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, I'd also suggest (in case this was interfering with the scans):
- download the latest version of Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 from the Kaspersky website
- locate your product ID number
- uninstall the current Kaspersky products
- reboot
- install the downloaded Kaspersky Internet Security 2009
- update the newly installed Kaspersky.
- there's a "merge" button in the lower middle of the window when checking your license - that's where you'll enter your product ID to convert from the trial to the paid for version.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users