Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp pro repair install

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 darkside701

darkside701

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:55 AM

I recently booted up my computer and was prompted with a message stating "invalid boot.ini" so I pop in my windows xp cd and proceed through the steps to doing a repair install, reasoning behind the repair install and not a wipe is several files located on the Hd are not backed up. I accept the agreement and on the next page it lists my HD and states that it has 153gigs of free space when it is a 160gig HD. There is also no option to repair on this screen. My question is am I doing something wrong or have all my files been erased?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DIBS

DIBS

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:14 AM

A few questions, what version of Windows are you using, including Home, Pro, Media Center, and does that match the disk that you have inserted. If it is not showing up "Do you want to repair this version of Windows?", then either you have a cd in that doesn't match the OS that is installed or, what seems more likely since it is saying only 7gigs is being used, is that there is a hard drive problem. I would suggest booting to the CD and on the first screen press R for repair. It will take you to a command promt, in you select the C:\Windows, put in ur admin password if there is one, then, making sure that you are on C:\, type in "chkdsk /r" without the qoutes. This will take anywhere from half an hour to a few hours, but I have a feeling that that will do it. If this doesn't do it then it could be that your hard drive is simply bad or faulty and there might not be much you can do except hook it up to another PC and try to do a data recovery. Let me know how it goes.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:20 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you followed the above...and the XP install routine indicates that your hard drive has either free space or unallocated space of the same size as your previous existing partition...I would say that partition has problems or has been erased.

Louis

#4 darkside701

darkside701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:27 PM

Using xp pro and on startup I select xp pro version on the cd, and those are the instructions I followed louis so I suppose it appears those files may be doomed. I'll let you know what happens dibs.

#5 darkside701

darkside701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:16 PM

DIBS I followed your instructions and recieved a message stating that it was unable to locate anything in the startup directory or cd. Sounds like its all gone is there anything else that can be done?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:33 PM

The more that you mess with the disk, the more likely it is that the data will not be recoverable (or will cost a whole pile of money to recover). I'd suggest focusing your efforts on data recovery rather than Windows at this point.

I would slave the hard drive to another system and use some data recovery software to see if you can recover anything.
A good free solution is PCInspector - but the interface may be a bit too confusing. It's available here: http://www.pcinspector.de
I prefer GetDataBack from http://www.runtime.org They will let you see what you can recover - but will charge you $80 (US) for the program to recover it.
There may be other free solutions available, but I'm not familiar with them. You can get an idea of what's available here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Once you've recovered the data (or given up on it) - then we can move back to reinstalling Windows.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 darkside701

darkside701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:50 PM

Sadly I agree with you I will have to see what works best, thanks.

#8 MIKE@OGS

MIKE@OGS

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:00 PM

Boot up your computer with the windows cd in the drive, access the boot menu, generally by hitting F12 or F2. Select the cdrom drive and when it says "press any key to boot from cd" press any key. Setup will load and you will get an option to install windows, or repair windows. Press r to repair windows and select your windows installation. The recovery console will load and ask you which operating system to load. Choose :Windows (generally the only one listed). Then you will be prompted for the administrator password on your machine. Enter the password. Then the console prompt will be accessible and the windows directory will appear. Type Chksdsk /r c: (or whatever you hard drive letter is where windows is installed. This will run the checkdisk repair utility and restore and corrupted files without erasing anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users