Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shields UP test

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Amberangel

Amberangel

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:04 AM

Hi, I have a new vista home premium 64 bit desktop. I did a scan with Shields UP on my common ports and failed badly. I do not have a software firewall installed. Just Vista firewall is active. I would like to download a firewall and your help would be great. I need one that is easy for beginners and just a fierwall as I have an antiviris already. (AntiVir Premium). Also I really don't want Zone Alarm. Hope someone can help me out here so I can close alot of these ports. Thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:02 PM

This free offering allows you to easily control the Vista firewall: http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Amberangel

Amberangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:05 AM

Thanks usasma, I appreciate your response. I have no experience with firewalls so how do I know what to allow or what to block. I don't want to allow something that I shouldn't but I doubt if I will understand the names of the programs that want to get in or out. It is very confusing when you don't know what your doing. Can you give me any help with what I allow. Thanks

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:00 PM

Using a firewall other than the Windows firewall requires either a bit of understanding - or a degree of trust in the program that you're getting.
Personally, I trust the Windows Firewall - but others do not.

You may want to check our freeware thread here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
Personally, I've tried the ZoneAlarm firewall and the Comodo firewall with Vista and had problems with both.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Amberangel

Amberangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:46 PM

Thanks again, I have decided to use Comodo firewall. I went to their forums and found excellent tutorials, giving step by step instructions. hagd.

Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users