Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

End of Life DVD player Question?.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:48 AM

I used the Secunia RC4 program to scan my PC and when it was finished it said everything was ok apart from one "end if life" program. I found out that this just means that the program is unsupported and therefore there will be no more updates for it supplied.

The program in question is MSIDVD \ Power DVD.exe which was one of the original programs on the PC when I bought it new about 5yrs ago. If I remember correctly a couple of years back I somehow deleted it and I think it did something to my PC but can't remember exactly just that on re-installation it all worked fine again. I can never remember using this DVD player as previously I would just use WMP.

Since installing the VLC player a couple of months ago I now use it for everything in both Audio and Video and never use WMP at all anymore although it is still installed. I also have a Philips Sonic Edge Sound Agent 2 sound card installed and therefore have the onboard original sound switched off as well.

Other than the fact that the MSIDVD program limits me to a 96% secure rating on Secunia RC4 it causes me no problems on my PC but in order to get a 100% rating I would obviously need to either upgrade it or more likely since I never use it uninstall it. My question is can I uninstall this program or due to it being one of the original installations when I bought my PC is it necessary to have it onboard to run something I am unaware of?.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:26 AM

It's no big deal. The same thing happened to me with the same product. IIRC, it's not that the product has been discontinued but it will cost you to upgrade. But I think you may have an old version of Secunia as I think more recent versions don't include end of life products in your score. Secunia underwent a real overhaul a few months ago and a new version was released last week.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:22 PM

It is the latest version I am using Frankp316. What exactly do I need the MSIDVD player for and what will the consequences of uninstalling it be?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:56 PM

Probably nothing. It's the sort of thing that usually comes bundled with your computer. But you don't necessarily need to use it or have it. I have several media players that I use for different things. But I normally use VLC as a default when I want to view somerhing because it's so versatile. I just keep most of the others in case I need them. I don't view Power DVD any differently. It's not something that will slow down your computer because it's not running unless you use it. So there's no harm in keeping it but you don't need it either.

Edited by frankp316, 06 November 2008 - 07:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users