Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

safe mode?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stormie P

Stormie P

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:34 AM

I had to reconfigure my computor because of a virus then while putting norton on had problems,so went to the site for help well the only help I recieved was he asked for control of my pc and I said yes(I know really dumb huh)well he put it in safe mode and now I can't get it out of safe mode don't know how can someone tell me please how to get my pc to come back to normal,thank you I have a XP home ,loving huggles,Stormie
Windows XP SP2 home edition
Pentium
512 MB Ram
Ethernet connection
Norton Anti-Virus
Spy bot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stormie P

Stormie P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:54 AM

:thumbsup: sorry forgot that I did try to start it up and pressed F8 over and over till I got to the proper place and said to place it back in normal mode and it still won't do it, :flowers:
Pentium
512 MB Ram
Ethernet connection
Norton Anti-Virus
Spy bot

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:55 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

A simple reboot should have returned it to normal mode.

I guess that I would have gone back to whomever changed your settings...if I thought that was the problem.

System manufacturer and model?

Licensed copy of XP installed?

Post exact error messages you receive, please.

Louis

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:41 AM

Go to Start...Run...and type in "msconfig" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
In the window that opens it should have the Normal startup checked - if not check it (this is one of the several reasons we don't recommend msconfig for anything but troubleshooting).
Next, click on the boot.ini tab
Select each of the listings under the [operating systems] by left clicking on them once
Then check to see if the /SAFEBOOT option is checked in the list below. If it is, uncheck it. (this is another reason for not using msconfig)
Click OK, then on Restart.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Stormie P

Stormie P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:03 PM

well I did all you said and it still won't change I have a tech coming in 2 hours so hoping he will be able to fix it,I am so disappointed in Norton systems and the fact that I wrote to them immediatly on my laptop and still haven't heard anything,loving huggles,Stormie
Pentium
512 MB Ram
Ethernet connection
Norton Anti-Virus
Spy bot

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:09 PM

If the tech can't fix it, try running bootcfg /rebuild from the Recovery Console.
Here's a description of it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

It'll ask you a couple of things for each Windows installation it detects:
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All):- - - answer Yes to add it to the file
Enter Load Identifier: - - - this is what name you want to see in the boot screen
Enter Operating System Load Options: This is the - stuff that you see in the boot.ini tab
- - - -The default is "/fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn" (without the quotes)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users