Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GETMAC wont work on Vista / Can't Connect to Wireless at School

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Trojandave

Trojandave

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:08 AM

I run Windows Vista SP 1 and I'm trying to get my mac address. When I run GETMAC in the command prompt, this is the error I get:

ERROR: Provider Load Failure

The reason I want to get my mac address is to register it with the campus wireless service. My internet works great at home (wireless) but on campus it's extremely spotty. It will connect slowly (and slow down my computer) but then only be connected locally. I can't access the internet or anything, but I'm connected to the network "locally". If I disable and re-enable my wireless card, I can SLOWLY get onto the internet, but sites like Gmail or CNN take forever to load or don't load at all. And after a few minutes I'm booted back to the local only connection and the internet no longer works unless I disable and re-enable the wireless card again.

Any idea how to fix this bigger problem? If registering my mac address won't fix it (and odds are it won't) I'd love to hear other ideas on how to make this work. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users