Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bookmarks gone

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 videoguy

videoguy

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:50 PM

I saw this in another thread but I guess I should make one for myself here as I wasn't able to get a solution from it.

It seemed as though Firefox just updated itself on my machine and killed the bookmarks. What's weird though is that it didn't kill all the bookmarks. I had some subfolders that I put some of my bookmarks under and they're still there. Anything that wasn't in a subfolder though is gone.

I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.17 now. Any advice is welcome because those bookmarks will be impossible to get back otherwise.

I tried the safemode thing... didn't work unfortunately.

I also tried the mozilla help page but I couldn't seem to get anywhere with it. If anyone has any ideas, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:41 AM

See if this is of any help:
Set windows to show hidden files,
How to see hidden files in Windows
Then navigate to:
C:\ Documents and Settings \ "your user name" \ Application Data \ Mozilla \ Firefox \ Profiles \ random characters.default

See if you have a file in there named bookmarks.html.
That's your bookmarks.
If it's in there, it's possible it has become corrupted.
Right click it, and select Delete, then proceed to the next step.
(You may want to just move "bookmarks.html" to another location on your harddrive, since you say you still have some of your bookmarks available.
That way, if the next step doesn't work, you'll still have those bookmarks.)

If it's not in there, proceed to the next step.

Now, open the file called bookmarkbackups.
Locate the file with the most recent date.
Right click it, and select Copy.
Click the Back button, closing the bookmarkbackups folder.
Now, right click on an empty area in the open window, and select Paste.
Right-click the file you just Pasted, and Rename it to bookmarks.html.
This will put a copy of the most recent backup, in your Profile folder.
Close the Profile folder.
Re-start Firefox, and see if you have your bookmarks.

Edited by tg1911, 06 November 2008 - 12:42 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 videoguy

videoguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:22 AM

Hey,

Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately, it didn't work. The backup folder goes back to November 3rd, I tried that one and it didn't work. The subfolder ones are still there but the others are gone. Maybe I've waited too long on this?

Mod Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 07 November 2008 - 12:39 AM.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:38 AM

You're welcome, videoguy.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Hopefully, someone will come along with other suggestions, that'll solve your problem.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 videoguy

videoguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:09 PM

Thanks man,

I had read over at the Firefox forum that you only have a limited amount of time to fix the problem because the backups re-write themselves and only go back five days.

If it had gone back one more day I would've been okay and I think your suggestions would've worked. Thanks for trying! I appreciate everything you guys do here.

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~Animal

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:58 PM

As a suggestion to reduce the unnecessary quotes and cluttering up of threads and making them almost unreadable. Please use the following guidelines:

When replying to a post, don't use the Reply button under the post, unless there is something specifically in the post, that you want to quote.

Use either the button at the top of the page labeled Add Reply, or one of the 2 buttons at the bottom of the page, labeled Fast Reply, and Add Reply.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users