Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to recover data from corrupted SATA drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 savingstrangers

savingstrangers

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:17 PM

Hey, first time poster here, I have a bit of an issue that I can't quite seem to find help for.

My SATA drive crashed on me a couple weeks ago, saying there was no boot device available or whatnot when I tried to boot up with that drive. So I bought a new SATA drive, am all set up with XP on the new one, almost back to normal, but I still want to get my past 6 months of pictures and whatnot off of the old SATA drive.

When I hook it up in one of the alternate SATA plugins on the motherboard and hook up power and cables to it, I don't really know what to do from there. People keep saying in forums you have to format it for XP to recognize it as a partition/drive, but obviously I can't format it or I'd lose everything.

So I'm booting off the new drive just fine, just trying to access the information on the old one that I THINK is set up correctly as a slave sort of... but I can't tell if I have it set right. It doesn't show up as anything in My Computer, and I can't tell if it's detected in the BIOS or whatnot.

But if anyone has some suggestions that are clear and easy to follow, I'll be around and hopefully get this fixed in a jiffy! Thanks a lot,

~SS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 savingstrangers

savingstrangers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:51 PM

Ok so as an update...

I put the old drive exactly in the place of the new working one, went to the BIOS boot sequence, and it doesn't seem to recognize the old drive at all, same power and data cables as the new working drive.

When I power on the machine, the hard drive ticks a few sounds like 3 or 4 click attempts maybe trying to start up? I'm not sure what it is. Anybody have suggestions of if it's totally fried if the BIOS won't recognize it?

SS

#3 savingstrangers

savingstrangers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:25 PM

Update:

When I put the old hard drive exactly where the new hard drive is/was cable-wise, it shows me this in the BIOS under SATA 0:

"WDC ROM MODEL-- HAWK - 8.0GB" as the drive information.... however it's a 200GB hard drive, so I don't know what that means!

SS

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:26 AM

If they are both SATA drives...it's immaterial where they are placed connected.

Attach the known good drive to your 1st SATA port, attach the problem drive to the 2d SATA port on the motherboard.

Enter the BIOS.

Are the two drives properly reflected there?

In any case, it won't hurt to downloard and run a diagnostic (available at the website of the hard drive manufacturer) on the troubled drive. Do not low-level format the drive.

Louis

#5 savingstrangers

savingstrangers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:57 AM

When I put the old drive in the known good slots and power etc., it shows up with that "WDC ROM MODEL-- HAWK - 8.0GB" , which isn't accurate, but they do each show up at least.

I will try to find diagnostics for the old drive, and see what I can do with that.

SS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users