Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unexplained system freezes, possibly internet/network related

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lobotomy Lobster

Lobotomy Lobster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:48 PM

I'm running a brand new system that is built self built from new parts and is just under a month old. A few days after setting it up, it started to freeze, seemingly randomly. The entire computer stops responding, all input from keyboards, mice etc stops, the sound loops and the screen freezes. It will not come back if I wait for 5-10 minutes, the only way to bring it back is to do a hard reset. There are no error messages when it does this and the computer makes no error messages or complaints when it next starts up. Over time these freezes have become more frequent, to the point that they are happening several times an hour sometimes.

I've noticed that the freezes only seem to happen when there is heavy net traffic; browsing the web for more than 10 minutes, viewing picture heavy pages, downloading, torrenting, hosting game servers and any combination of the above will kill it, usually within an hour though sometimes it has run for longer before freezing. Running a game server over a LAN with the internet disconnected also produced a freeze up and it has frozen once and only once right after windows reached the desktop. Lighter tasks like MSN Messenger, IRC and joining game servers on other computers do not produce freezes and I can happily do these for several hours. I use FireFox as my default browser but I have got exactly the same crashes using Internet Explorer 7. Anything that is not network related does not seem to cause a freeze and I can run system intensive games and programs indefinitely.

The Specs are:

Windows XP 32-bit Proffessional SP3
XFX Nforce 780i
Phoenix AwardBIOS v6.00
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3ghz
4GB DDR2 RAM in two sticks of 2GB
XFX Nvidia Geforce GTX 280

ESET Nod32 anti-virus
ISS BlackIce firewall
and the computer is connected to a D-Link 2640B router

So far I have:

1) Scanned for viruses and malware with no results

2) Updated Windows to the latest version

3) Installed the latest graphics card and motherboard drivers (I have installed the motherboard drivers both with and without the hardware firewall)

4) Installed several different versions of FireFox

5) Updated my Java Runtime to the latest version

6) Updated my Flash plugin to the latest version as well as running with the plugin uninstalled

7) A registry fix for a similar problem caused by MSN Messenger

8) Flashed the BIOS to the latest version using an ISO from the manufacturer's site

9) Checked component temperatures in the BIOS (they are all running at normal temperatures and my computer is not overclocked)

10) Tested the RAM with Memtest 86+ (both sticks passed 5 tests with no errors)

11) The computer crashed once while I had Process Explorer active and there were no unusual processes running and no spikes in CPU or memory usuage

12) I left the computer on for over 12 hours to do nothing and it was still running fine when I returned to it

None of these measures have produced any noticeable results.

I've considered the possibility of it being some kind of software conflict but this is a new system that does not have many processes running and I have experimented with closing down non-essential processes but nothing seems to affect it.

Thank you in advance

Edited by Lobotomy Lobster, 05 November 2008 - 07:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:03 PM

One thing you could do is this Unplug your router
and Disconnect from internet
Next unplug your Modem and disconnect from iternet
Leave it this way for about 5 minutes
then reconnect everything
do the following

Now scan with superantispyware download and update from here
superantispyware will remove tracking cookies

http://filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/

After you run the program
download cleanup
it will clean the crap out of your computer
giving you more disc space

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?optio...&Itemid=223

next perform disc defragment
this will place your files back in order
they taken apart and scattered
making the computer look harder for them

from you Start Menu
click on Run
type this in
dfrg.msc
click ok
press defragment
this may take some time let it finish

and finally do a chkdsk repair
open My Computer on your Start Menu
right click on C:Drive
select Properties
click on Tools Tab
press Check Now
put check in empty boxes and press Start
You will need to restart computer for check disc to run
It may an hour or two to finish

DO NOT DISTURB THIS ....ALLOW IT TO RUN

let us know how it goes

Edited by mme, 05 November 2008 - 08:04 PM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:04 AM

I'd suggest also trying another network card - you can pickup one up for under $15 (US) and it's handy to have a spare on hand anyway.
Don't forget to disable the onboard controllers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Lobotomy Lobster

Lobotomy Lobster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:30 PM

So far it hasn't stopped the freezes. I followed all the steps mme posted to no avail.

Next step is to try a new network card. I'm going to beg, steal or borrow one this week and I'll post when I've tested it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users