Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to Internet after fresh install (XP Home)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jeannot18

jeannot18

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:45 PM

Hi there. My first post on this site so I am going to try to be as clear as I can. I have 2 desktop and 1 laptop, one of the desktop (the one my young daughter uses) was not performing too well. Very slow on the internet, could not open some site sometimes. So I decided to do a fresh re-install of XP Home edition. The PC is a Dell, so I don't have the proper XP disk, only the one that Dell send you. I did follow the instruction found on the Dell website (though I had some trouble installing the drivers, they come from a different disk provided by Dell too). Anyway managed to install XP, when I did the installation, I did remove all periphirals (left only the mouse and keyboard). One the installation was finished, I inserted my wireless PCI card and install the drivers. When I tried to open IE6, it would not open the page (tried google.com, yahoo and bbc site). I installed Opera, to check that maybe it was the softare but same again, can't open the pages. I managed to download SP2 and SP3 on a USB drive and run them on the computer but the problem still persists. I contacted Dell and we went through checking all the setup, the technician said that it must be a problem with my wireless card or router (the other desktop and laptop work fine using this connection and setup, so this eliminates the router). I have then called Buffalo the brand of the router and wireless PCI card and we went through all the options. Again we could not get it to work. I did try another PCI card, no luck either. I have read many post on the net, trying the IPConfig command (release and renew). My icon of the wireless connection shows that the PC is connected. I have spent quite a bit of time and now I really don't know what else to do. I have read a few post on this forum and will try a couple of things tomorrow (sfc /scannow; and maybe reinstall IE6 %systemroot%\inf =>find IE.inf and install). But has anyone else some idea of what else I could do, i am really frustrated at this stage and would love to find a solution to the problem.
To recap
Wireless network (Buffalo router and PCI card) - 2 desktops and 1 laptop, 1 desktop and the laptop (which run Vista) are working ok)

Sorry for the long post but I tried to be as clear as I could
Regards, JC :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 darco

darco

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:48 PM

I would see if the ethernet controller card drivers were installed.....Hit the Windows key + pause break key and that will bring up system properties. Then chose the hardware tab, then Device Manager. As soon as you open it, you will see yellow triangles indicating which drivers need to be installed. The Dell driver cd should have them or go to the Dell website and d/l to a usb stick .....
good luck

darco

#3 jeannot18

jeannot18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:36 AM

No yellow triangles, evertything is ok on this side

Anymore ideas??

JC

#4 darco

darco

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:55 AM

What type of security is enabled to access your router (WPA,wep)? I am sure you went thru all this if you called Buffalo and Dell but....
Is it possible to connect a lan cable to the pc? Ipconfig /all gives you what output?

darco

#5 jeannot18

jeannot18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:53 PM

What type of security is enabled to access your router (WPA,wep)? I am sure you went thru all this if you called Buffalo and Dell but....
Is it possible to connect a lan cable to the pc? Ipconfig /all gives you what output?

darco

I am at work now, but this evening I have repaired XP with the original disk. Now I can't switch on or off Windows XP firewall. My wireless connection appears ok and connected, but IE6 and Opera are still not working. Tomorrow I may try to copy the complete setup from my other computer (runs on the same network and don't have any problem with) and see what happens. If I can get a LAN cable if will connect the PC directly to the modem and see what happens. After that, I may go for another complete re-install of XP. Don't know what else to do. Pretty cheesed off with the whole thing really, I have had problem in the past but never something like that.
Thanks
JC

#6 jeannot18

jeannot18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:05 AM

Problem sorted after I have reinstalled XP from scratch again. This time I did upgrade SP1 to SP3 directly, I think that the SP2 i downloaded was corrupted somehow (virus). Anyway PS is up and running and I am very happy after spending something like 3 days looking for a solution (shall I get a Mac?? :thumbsup: )

JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users