Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Errors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xEnvious

xEnvious

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:39 PM

Hello. My computer was working fine last night. Today, I come home and I turn it on, and loading for startup was really slow as it was stuck on "Welcome" screen for a minute or so. (There's only one account on this computer so after XP loads, it goes straight pass the Welcome screen)
Then, when it finally passed the Welcome screen, an error box with the red circle and white X popped up saying something about some error about Installer(?). Sorry, I don't remember the exact details of that error.
Afterwards, my desktop and AV loads. Following that, comes the Windows recovered from a serious error, etc. window and here is what I copied from it:

BCCode : 100000d1 BCP1 : 00001000 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000008
BCP4 : 00001000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

And there was some error that has these:
C:\DOCUME~1\Dan\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERdef6.dir00\Mini101408-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Dan\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERdef6.dir00\sysdata.xml

After seeing this, I restarted my computer, and startup was fine. Then, I shut down my computer and started it up again and startup was fine again.
I believe my computer should be okay but what exactly caused these problems and is it a malware or hardware issue?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by xEnvious, 05 November 2008 - 06:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:31 AM

The halt screen causes that data to be created when it happens. (More commonly known as a BSOD) Anyway, I don't know what caused it, but you might want to check the event viewer to see what caused it.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 xEnvious

xEnvious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:16 AM

Error code 100000d1, parameter1 00001000, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000008, parameter4 00001000.
Error code 100000d1, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000008, parameter4 00000000.

These two happened within a minute the day the event occurred. Would anyone be able to read these error codes?

Edited by xEnvious, 06 November 2008 - 11:16 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:29 PM

Background: http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=30051

Louis

#5 xEnvious

xEnvious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:56 PM

Louis, thanks for that link! It helped me a bit.

From http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839876&sd=RMVP, it says that the cause:
"This problem occurs because of a race condition that occurs in the ACPI power management code. The race condition occurs when the BIOS for the computer contains multiple tables and at least two of the tables contain power resources. This causes the ACPI code to access nodes that are not initialized, which creates the race condition."

I know a bit about computers but these terms are a bit confusing. Could someone explain it in layman's terms?
Also, because this error happened only once and my computer seems to be fine, should I worry about it in the future?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:10 PM

I'll try...although, IMO, it's not important (as a user) to understand things like this. What's important is to understand how to possibly overcome them when they go wrong or create difficulties.

A computer and the O/S and programs which we all use...are very sophisticated tools that have much detail that we are not interested in or cannot fully comprehend...because we are not developers, system engineers, etc. I accept that and try not to overwhelm myself with details stated in jargon...that are beyond my realm of need-to-know.

"To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Microsoft Windows XP. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322389 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/EN-US/) How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack"

The BIOS contains the Basic Input/Output Settings..for the system. In short, it is the section of a computer where hardware (drives, memory, CPU, etc.) is first recognized and enabled to interact as part of the computer system.

A more detailed explanation of the BIOS: Howstuffworks How BIOS Works - http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bios.htm/printable

Among the settings in the BIOS...there are several that pertain to power handling for the computer system. ACPI is one of those, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216573

The most important lines to comprehend are those that refer to obtaining the latest SP for MS Windows XP...that's all a user needs to know, IMO.

Louis

#7 xEnvious

xEnvious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:20 PM

I agree with you, Louis. I should've mentioned before but this week has been hectic for me schoolwise and the professors decided to bombard us with tests. If I had the time, I would, too, look into computers and learn more about them - it's all a learning process, right? ;)

I've just had such a stressed week that I can't take the time to worry about things that I can care later. So, I just stopped by here to see if this is a major problem to my computer and if it is in a need for a reformat or hardware replacement. But most importantly, thank you for helping me and providing links to find the root of this error.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:22 PM

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users