Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How many processes?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sakfors

sakfors

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:50 PM

Hi!

I wonder wich processes i really need? Not so sure about the english word for it but if I run msconfig and click on the fifth "flap", wich one do I really need there so the computer still will work? Or can I check somewhere what every process do?

When I press ctrl+alt+del and click on the second "flap" process, I have 45 processes going, do I need so many?? Wouldnīt the computer run faster if I donīt have so many processes going?

Thanks for answers...

/ S

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:18 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

My general advice for users who want to "change things" when they are not really sure just what function those "things" perform in the computer...is to leave them alone...educate yourself by reading from that vast library we call "the Web"...then proceed to possibly experiment on your system.

Of course...if users don't mind the possibility of having to do a clean install to overcome something they do...or wail about the fact that they cannot access files which are "needed", but not backed up...I can only suggest.

FWIW: The number of processes running at any time on any system...is dependent very much on the tastes of the user. The more programs running, the more processes is about the only general rule I would attempt here.

For example...I am running XP Home. SP3 on this system. If I use task manager to see what processes are running, I count a total of 33 but I know that number varies. Of those 33, none are using more than a fraction of 1% of my total system resources (for want of a better term), since my System Idle is at 99%.

As for your query whether the system will run "faster" with fewer processes, my guess would be not. Out of all those processes listed...only the ones reflecting high percentages are using any noticeable system resources. And System Idle Process is a funny name for an indicator of how much the system is NOT being used (high percentages are good).

If you want your system to run "faster", then the best thing to do is probably to see that it has the maximum amount of memory installed which the O/S can properly use.

Just a note about MSCONFIG: It's meant to be a tool used when users have startup problems. You can read about it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSConfig and other web links.

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:02 PM

Processes include many things - your startup programs, services that are running, and even a Windows "host" that has several services running under that one process.

The best place to start is the Bleeping Computer Startup List: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/
If it's not listed there, then Google for it to see what it is.

After that, visit this web page to start working on the Services: http://www.blackviper.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users