Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Antivirus Detector 2009 screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jtphenom

jtphenom

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:30 PM

My sister just called and told me about a problem she is having. She lives far away so I cannot get to her and see what's going on. Here's what she said happened:

She said she was searching for recipes online and all of a sudden her entire screen went blank, and a pop-up appeared saying something like:

Microsoft Antivirus Detector 2009 has detected dangerous spyware on your computer. We recommend performing a scan now to get rid of this spyware. Would you like to scan now?

She hit cancel, but it started scanning anyway. This isn't legit, right? What should she do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:26 PM

We need to work with her on the computer. It would be best to have her join and post so we can deal with it directly
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:42 PM

We need to work with her on the computer. It would be best to have her join and post so we can deal with it directly

I think she is going to join.

But I talked to her again and she clarified that this window just popped up in her browswer. I told her to just close the window. She did and it went away. I originally thought she was saying that her entire screen went blank and this thing popped up on her desktop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users