Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Soon to be dead hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johnnyxxxcakes

johnnyxxxcakes

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:17 PM

I have an Acer Extensa 4620z laptop with a 143GB SATA hard drive. The serial number I believe is WDC WD1600BEVS-22RST0-(S1). I've experienced systems freezes, and I'm afraid it's a sign of a hard drive going bad.

At first, I had Hardy Heron installed on this laptop and I've experienced a time when the entire system just freezes/locks up and the cursor won't move when I wiggle the mouse. Also, any music I had playing just replays as if it's stuck in an infinite loop. An example is when I'm playing a song like "Blah Yeah! Blah Yeah! Bl-bl-bl-bl-bl-bl-bl" and that just goes on. The only thing I can do is to hard reset. After the laptop shuts down, I press the power button again and the system comes up just fine. It's only happened on Hardy Heron about 3 times total within about a month's time.

This is a bit off topic, but I updated to Intrepid Ibex and I just couldn't stand it because of the performance issue. Everything ran slower even though I KNOW I had plenty of memory (2GB with Pentium Dual Core). But back to the subject; the system froze 2 times, within 20 minutes! That drove me over the edge to switch back. This usually happens when I'm either using the computer on an average basis, or when I just have a media player playing (Audacious) music and just Nautilus open for music. So today I reformatted and installed and went back to Hardy Heron, and everything seems to be perfectly fine.

Is this a sign of a hard drive failure coming? I have all of my data (pictures, text files, etc.) backed up on a flash drive, and my music on my iPod, so I'm prepared for a storm, if any. :thumbsup:
Acer Extensa 4620z laptop, Intel Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.60GHz, 140GB Hard disk drive, 2GB DDR2 RAM, Linux Mint 5 Elyssa

Linux user since April 28th, 2008. Vista made me do it. :P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:48 PM

When was the last time the drive was defraged?
Download the data lifeguard diagnostic tool to check the drive:
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...d=1&lang=en
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 johnnyxxxcakes

johnnyxxxcakes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:03 PM

When was the last time the drive was defraged?
Download the data lifeguard diagnostic tool to check the drive:
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...d=1&lang=en

I use Ubuntu Linux. I thought Linux operating systems don't need defragging? They defrag as the computer is in use, don't they?
Acer Extensa 4620z laptop, Intel Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.60GHz, 140GB Hard disk drive, 2GB DDR2 RAM, Linux Mint 5 Elyssa

Linux user since April 28th, 2008. Vista made me do it. :P

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:33 AM

I thought Linux operating systems don't need defragging?

It's up for debate, but most say no
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/qna/15032.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users