Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recurring problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SeventySeven

SeventySeven

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:34 PM

Please note that English isnīt my native language...

The computer in question is a LG notebook with Vista Business, updated. Norton and Adaware updated and used.
A couple of times a day the computer slows down terribly, the CPU works at a 100% but thereīs no program or activity
that seems to use all that computing-power. The harddrive works loads och internet (built in wireless ADSL) shuts down.

A reboot fixes the problem temporarily but after a while itīs the same again! ANY suggestions?!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:27 PM

Please note that English isnīt my native language...

The computer in question is a LG notebook with Vista Business, updated. Norton and Adaware updated and used.
A couple of times a day the computer slows down terribly, the CPU works at a 100% but thereīs no program or activity
that seems to use all that computing-power. The harddrive works loads och internet (built in wireless ADSL) shuts down.

A reboot fixes the problem temporarily but after a while itīs the same again! ANY suggestions?!

Hi SeventySeven,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding to your posting.

First, make sure you are using Norton 360 version 2.x. If you are still using version 1.x and have a valid subscription, you are entitled to a free update to version 2. Using Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher, navigate to the Norton Update Center and follow the instructions to update.

Norton Update Center

Most slowdown issues are caused by either an infection, software conflict or a corrupted installation of Norton 360. Make sure that the Windows firewall is disabled and that you do not have any other antivirus or internet security applications installed, as they can cause conflicts with Norton 360 and lead to the slowdown and a lack of protection.

If you are already using Norton 360 ver2.x, then manually run LiveUpdate to ensure you have the latest available application and definition files applied. After doing so, launch Norton 360 and perform a "Comprehensive Scan" to check for infections.

Make sure that your machine meets or exceeds the requirements for Norton 360. Please carefully follow the instructions in the document below.

Solution for when Computer runs slow after installing Norton 360

You may also have a problem with a lack of system resources, Symantec has a document on this issue which I encourage you to follow.

Using Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher, click on the link below and follow the instructions.

Symantec Basic guide to optimizing system resources

Please try out this process and let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Mike

Edited by Michael York, 05 November 2008 - 03:34 PM.

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#3 SeventySeven

SeventySeven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:30 PM

Hello Mike! I think I might have expressed myself poorly. The computer has fully updated Norton Antivirus 2007 but the program isnīt used when this problem occurs.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:08 PM

Have you checked in Task Manager...Processes tab to see what's consuming those CPU cycles?
To access Task Manager, right click on your Task Bar and select it from there - then click on the Processes tab and note what Image Names are displayed as taking up the CPU cycles when this problem occurs.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 SeventySeven

SeventySeven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:56 PM

Ok, Iīll have a look at that. Iīll return.

#6 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:02 PM

Hello Mike! I think I might have expressed myself poorly. The computer has fully updated Norton Antivirus 2007 but the program isnīt used when this problem occurs.

Hi SeventySeven,

If you have "Auto-protect" disabled and Norton is not being used, then the problem you are having is not related to Norton.

Thanks,

Mike

Michael York

Symantec Corporation

Edited by Michael York, 05 November 2008 - 06:09 PM.

Michael York
Symantec Corporation

#7 SeventySeven

SeventySeven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:21 PM

Looks like it may be 'consent.exe' thatīs causing the problem. Tried to google on that name but didnīt get any smarter.

Edit: Guess it can come from clicking OK after clicking 'show processes for all users'. And in that case we are back on square one...

Edited by SeventySeven, 15 November 2008 - 06:29 PM.

#8 SeventySeven

SeventySeven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:45 PM

OK, after viewing the processes a longer while it seems that itīs 'NT Kernel & System' that uses approx 60-85% of the CPU power all the time when the computer slows down. No other processes use more than 10%. Any suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users