Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Spam Alert: Security Ramifications as yet unknown

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:04 PM

Had a lot of trouble with the internet last night. For a few minutes, my CS Lite (a java suppression/warning application) was going absolutely crazy. I tried to e-mail a progressive political blog I was logged on to about this, so they could check their security for an attack. They have an excellent security system, but all kinds of crazy advertisements.

I checked my e-mail this morning. Got several undeliverable mail notices. Thought it was all about my mail from last night. Several mail-daemon notices with attachments. One "notice" was in cyrillic. One had a windows box asking whether I wanted to change my default e-mail application (it had the wrong e-mail provider listed as my default; looked exactly like the real windows box). it also had a large pharmaceutical ad. didn't open the two others; blocked all four senders, but it could be they will lodge in my computer, much like the spambot infestation I had earlier, which caused me to disenroll from a forum that was taking up too much of my time, anyway.

Antivir sent 2 fuse bundles in the last 12 hours. So the malware designers WERE attacking like crazy last night, no doubt because the U.S. elections had generated widespread world interest and the internet was very, very busy, with people logging into a lot of sites with flash media and other players.

Will log off here and do yet another scan. Good luck, folks!

I should also mention that I had a lot of difficulty trying to confirm a new account with Wikipedia and could not use my google applications last night because my stored passwords were not recognized. I could not correctly detect the scrambled security words at the bottom. Guess I should try google again today after scanning (finished antivir, now doing secunia free online).

Have been receiving a lot of recovery keys info spam letters. Before that, I was getting reports from people I did not know with attachments. Earthlink had segregated some of them into a virus quarantine folder. Evidently some viruses are contained in the address info rather than the attachment.

Is it safer to use the web mail version of an e-mail application on one's home computer than to use the direct-to-desktop download? I have noticed that since EL has been experimenting with improvements that the preview option doesn't work as well. I would like to preview items without having to click on them. The vast majority go to trash without my having looked at them at all. I should use the suspicious button more, which supposedly checks e-mails for infection, but it doesn't really seem to do much. Has never found anything suspicious!

:thumbsup: Another update: sorry to bug you all folks, with constant updates on the various topics I have posted.

Noticed that after I sent an e-mail to a writer at The Huffington Post that I got one mailer-daemon suspicious e-mail and a number from covergenze.it, which I had not received anything from before. Some had attachments; some were undeliverable e-mail notices. I had been free of such messages for a few days. I immediately did an Antivir scan and a Secunia scan. Got a few more this evening. Fortunately, all of these have gone directly to spam and suspicious e-mail files, but the spam filter and blocking functions at EarthLink are not so good as they used to be. I will have to research Thunderbird, I guess. Shareware/freeware seems to be far superior in many respects.

I think some of the malware designers have been targeting politically liberal news and action sites since Tuesday night, a second round of the malware Olympics.

Good night and good weekend to you all!

Edited by KoanYorel, 08 November 2008 - 12:18 AM.
Posts merged

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users