Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memtest86 + errors happens to any RAM

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 deeman7777

deeman7777

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:22 PM

I am working on a Presario R3000 laptop that shut's down unexpectedly. I removed, cleaned, applied arctic silver twice and it still shuts down.

I tested the RAM with Memtest86 and low and behold I had 100's of errors during test #4 - I think random inversion or something. So, I put in another stick of ram and the same thing - at test #4 it fills the screen with errors.

It's a PITA to access the second RAM slot since I hva to remove the keyboard to do it - and will try that.

Can this mean a bad motherboard or RAM slot or ??

Thanks!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gabisonfire

Gabisonfire

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:47 PM

Actually, memtest + often does this problem, maybe it's just an incompatibility with the ram.
You should try OCCT to stress the cpu and see if the temperature goes too high, else, it would prolly mean that the board is defect.
OCCT : http://www.ocbase.com/download.php?fileext=exe
Gabisonfire - Habs all the way!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:20 PM

Well...in my experience, Memtest generates errors...but it's up to the user/tester to figure out the source of the error.

The errors could indicate a problem with a module, a problem with both RAM modules together...a problem with the motherboard RAM clock, a problem with the RAM slots on the motherboard.

In my case, I was able to reduce the BIOS RAM clock speed and eliminate errors which were reflected with various PC3200 modules, but were not reflected when I mixed a PC2100 and PC3200 module (because the system runs at the speed of the slower module).

The fact that errors are produced doesn't necessarily point the way to mitigating/eliminating such. IMO, it's a process of elimination, trial-and-error attempts to see what might work.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users