Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing computer and dead internet connection relating to "rtutils.dll"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thedoomedpixel

thedoomedpixel

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:07 AM

Hi, I use a Windows XP

My computer always freezes up within five minutes of my booting it, forcing me to restart my computer constantly. Whenever I start my computer up, I get at least seven error messages from different things stating the same thing: "This application has failed to start because rtutils.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." At about the time I close out the last of the error messages, I have about one minute before the computer freezes, so I cannot successfully run an antivirus or spyware scanner.

Also possibly related to this problem: I no longer have any internet connection with my computer. It's completely shot. I cannot even open the "My Network Places" window.

I started experiencing both problems simultaneously three days ago, after I had left my computer on sleep mode for about 5 hours.

Can anyone help? If you need any more information, please tell me, and I will provide it to the best of my ability.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:11 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

First priority is to do a series of malware checks, IMO. Inability to do so would have me thinking "malware".

Seems to be a valid Windows system file, http://www.dll-download-system.com/dlls-r-/rtutils.dll.html

http://www.auditmypc.com/process/rtutils.asp

But I would check my System32 folder first, since malware is a constant possibility.

I think that I would run sfc /scannow, which replaces all missing/corrupted system files.

Barring any success from that, I would probably download and install the .dll file, according to the instructions provided at link.

Louis

#3 thedoomedpixel

thedoomedpixel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for the advice and links! I'll try these right away!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:24 PM

Keep us posted :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 thedoomedpixel

thedoomedpixel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:56 PM

YES! Using the first link you provided, and some quick work with a USB Port, my Computer is back up to snuff! No more freezing, and My internet is working normally again!

Thank you kindly,
Ian

Edited by thedoomedpixel, 05 November 2008 - 06:56 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:03 PM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users