Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting Old Laptop Hard Drive to New Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:28 AM

My old laptop died. I bought a new laptop. I had a computer tech assist in transferring files from the old laptop harddrive to the new laptop. I forgot some files and they are still on my old laptop hard drive. The used a usb cable to connect the old hard drive to the new laptop. There was also a device connecting the cable to the old hard drive. I think he had software to run the old hard drive. Can I do this on my own? If so, what would I need to connect the old hard drive to the new laptop? Obviously a usb cable. What else? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:09 AM

Check out this link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-5-...A1%7C240%3A1308

This is only one of many that I have seen.

Good luck.

DR

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:24 AM

The tech may have used an external enclosure to connect the hdd to his computer to transfer the files, any on this page would work. The connect via the USB ports. If you purchase one, purchase one that has its own power supply, this way it will not draw from your battery. This would also allow you to use the old hdd for backing up files or extra storage.

You shouldn't need any software to access the files, you can go to Explore and click on the external drive and drag and drop the files that you want to your new hdd, it should be the C: drive.

To get to Explore, right click on Start, click on Explore.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:58 PM

Are such cables available at any electronics store or does one have to order by mail?

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

This is the list of adapters from Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....usb+ide+adapter

I have the Bytecc, the Vantec and one I have no idea who made it. I found the Startech at Radioshack as well.

These are invaluable. I use them all the time. I don't even bother with external enclosures for archiving/backing up files anymore. Nice for retreiving data from customer's hard drives and running a virus/malware laden drive through the wringer to clean tough stuff off it.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:56 AM

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users