Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home won't boot up in any mode after SP3 install/System Restore

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Derkf

Derkf

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:07 AM

First off, thank you for viewing this topic!!! :flowers:

I own Home Edition and recently switched to SP3 when updating windows (stupid choice). Started having cd burning problems with Itunes8 after upgrading from Itunes7 (says no burner software found, doesn't Itunes come with a cd burner program! :cool: ). I noticed my CD/DVD drives icons disappeared from My Computer folder, so I researched and found deleting the upper and lower filters in the registry they reappear. Still couldn't burn cd's in Itunes8. So my next step was to re-install Itunes8. Same results, no burner software found. Updated my TDK CD/DVD driver from a third-party driver site (TDK don't have driver updates on their site) and downloaded new driver. Also updated my Lite On CD-Rom driver from LiteONit.com, found new driver. Still having burning problems.

I did a System Restore figuring I can go back to SP2 and have no problems with burning in Itunes, well, I was wrong again. My Pc now won't boot in any mode: all safe modes, last known good configuration, start normally, etc. None of them worked!!. Just restarts after selecting each mode and goes to the same black screen that states: We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this (might have restored to a point when I had malware/trojan problems).

Tried to do a Repair Installation from my XP CD. During repair installation, certain files were not located on disk, so it ask for SP2 Disc? Tried to locate missing files and installation completed. PC still wouldn't boot-up!!!!! The Disc has Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition on it. Not sure if I have the right disc because it's labeled Upgrade. , but says includes Service Pack 2 version 2002? I read on forums that not disabling your anti-virus software while repairing can cause problems and that ATI video cards cause problems (no fixes yet from ATI). I'm ready to smash my bleeping computer :inlove: , so please save my computers life by responding to this!!! :trumpet: Thanx in advance for your support!!!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:10 AM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Derkf

Derkf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

Thanx for your post. Not sure what to do after running Recovery Console (chkdsk /r). Got a end report and it says I had one or more errors fixed. Tried to boot windows and it didn't restart. Do you need disk space/allocation figures? :thumbsup:

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:21 PM

Run chkdsk /r again and see if reports more errors.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Derkf

Derkf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:03 PM

Ran Chkdsk /r again and all it said was chkdsk has finished checking the volume. No errors.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:16 AM

Run this command from the Recovery Console:

bootcfg /rebuild

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Derkf

Derkf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:25 PM

Thanx again for helping me out.
Ran bootcfg /rebuild and it completed with one windows installation. Ask to:
Add Installations to Boot List? <yes/no/all>:
Enter Load Identifier:
Enter OS Load Options:

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:29 PM

See this link for more info:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000648.htm

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Derkf

Derkf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:06 PM

I Ran bootcfg /rebuild again and followed the instructions on the linked forum. Nothing happened after I input info. Tried to restart, nothing. :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Edited by Derkf, 06 November 2008 - 08:10 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:55 PM

Try FIXMBR and FIXBOOT in the Recovery Console. Ignore the dire warnings and tell it "Yes".
Also, try a bootable hard drive diagnostic from the manufacturer of your hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Derkf

Derkf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:31 PM

Thanx for your response. Ran both Fixboot and Fixmbr, nothing worked. How can you run bootable hard drive diagnostic cd if windows wont boot up?

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:44 PM

That's the way a bootable diagnostic works. Your computer boots straight from the CD so it doesn't matter if Windows won't boot.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:08 PM

Here's a link that has links to the major manufacturer's diagnostic utilities: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/
On most (if not all) there will be instructions on how to make the disk bootable. Basically you'll need a program to burn ISO files to a disk (which will make it bootable).

Then you select the option to boot from the CD in your BIOS and tell the test to run by following the prompts.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 Derkf

Derkf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:25 PM

Ran Western Digital Diagnostic Lifeguard CD. Did both quick scan and complete scan and found no errors. Thanx for the support. :thumbsup: :) :cool: DUELING :trumpet: :inlove: BANJOS!!!!!! :flowers:

Edited by Derkf, 07 November 2008 - 11:34 PM.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:39 AM

Well, there's not much else that could be causing this problem AFAIK.
You may want to run a memory diagnostic (free from here: http://www.memtest86.com/ )
It's possible that there may be issues with your motherboard, but there's no sure way to tell this without a reinstall of Windows.
So, I'd have to suggest a clean install of Windows: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

This will wipe out everything on the hard drive - so if you need to save things, now's the time to do it!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users