Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icons will not load in desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wicked1

Wicked1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:29 PM

OK,

My computer will not load desktop icons after boot up, it just hangs. It does boot all they way to my background. I DO have my task bar and start menu, however i can only use the run fuction in the start menu. I can also run task manager. I do get a few things loaded in the notification area (ie. where the clock is). I can run in safe mode with no problems at all, as a matter of fact im in safe mode with networking so i can use the internet. I read alot of other topics similar to mine and no have worked for me so far.

Things i have tried:

Boot from CD
Boot from recovery console
Combofix
Task manager, File, New task, "explorer.exe"

I dont think its a virus/trojan but i could be wrong. When my computer started messing up is when i adjusted a tcp/ip tweak called TCP Opimizer. Oh and im using windows XP, sp2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:23 AM

Try this, go to Task manager, click on the Processes tab, open File and click on New Task and type explorer.exe, and then click on ok.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Wicked1

Wicked1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:11 AM

That did not work!

#4 Wicked1

Wicked1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:24 AM

UPDATE:

I tried:

sfc /scannow
boootcfg
chkdsk /r
fixboot
system repair with XP CD

Only thing i noticed is that, when i tried "services.msc", the terminal service has stop. I change it from manual to auto but computer hangs. I cannot start it, it just comes back with "unable start in proper time" or something to that effect, i can't remember the exact words. I download the NPD1 fix from microsoft and it wont load be cause im in safe mode. I am current trying to find a way to access it, with out going into safe mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users