Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'Search42' problems...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tucwildcat

tucwildcat

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:46 AM

Hello there,

Recently I have been downloading many files in order to use an old video game that I have, and the whole ordeal ended up being a Pandora's box I shouldn't have opened. Heres the deal:

1) I was getting 'zlib.dll' errors, so I Googled it and found some 'registry fix' programs, among which were 'PCMightyMax', which I removed from my computer, and 'Registry Mechanic', which I still have on my computer.

2) I ran both programs, which detected problems with my registry settings, files, etc., and Registry Mechanic fixed about half of them (the others, I guess, are still present, but would not be fixed unless I purchased a license for the program).

3) About this time, I started getting random pop-ups, and about every 4th or 5th time I Google something I get a 'search42' pop-up.

Right now, I am using the Windows XP Service Pack 2 popup blocker, as well as the Google Toolbar. I have Microsoft Antispyware on my computer, which runs tests every morning at 2AM, but does not report any problems. I also have AVG Antivirus (Free edition) installed, and use it frequently (again, with no problems reported).

Please Note: The last computer I had, I started fiddling around with the .dll files and that turned my computer into a vegetable! So I am very very very not comfortable with messing with these (or any) system files that will damage my computer or make it un-useable. Moreover, I cannot afford to lose my computer, as I am a student in London (with an American computer!) and have major projects due in 2 weeks.

I am not sure if this is related, but every now and then, when my computer boots up I get a 'Win 32' error (but it appears that does not affect my computer, that I know of).

What do i do?!!

Thank you very much for your advice and help,
Ryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:58 AM

AVG Antivirus (Free edition) installed, and use it frequently

Update it frequently also.
Try this basic maintenance:
(These instructions apply to Windows ME and XP, other versions may not have the functions described)
  • Clean your internet cache and temporary files:
    Click Start and Run then type in cleanmgr this will start the windows disk cleanup tool.
    Tick the boxes beside Temporary internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files then click OK

• Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here:
    Safe Mode
    How to find scandisk:
    Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now

• When that's finished do a defrag.
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

• Reboot and see if there's any improvement.

• Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Start>My Computer click once on your C: drive and look in the Details box on the left.
Then do these security checks:

Download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.

See if that helps :thumbsup:

Update - I just ran a search on Search42 and it looks ugly - possible removal tool at Symantec: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcen...moval.tool.html

- but dubious success reported. If you make no progress you are best to go to the 'HighjackThis Logs and Analysis' forum read the pinned topics on how to post an HJT log and await expert assistance.

Edited by Rimmer, 05 May 2005 - 07:26 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 tucwildcat

tucwildcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:19 AM

Hi,

Thank you so much for the quick reply and advice -- I have to run to class right now but will attempt all that you said later today...

Just so you know, I did update AVG right now, and ran a scan;

It says that 'user32.dll', 'scan32.dll', and 'ntoskrnl.exe' need to be changed.

I do not know if this means anything, but I do know that this was reported by AVG the past few times that I ran it.

Thank you again,
Ryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users