Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Messages On Closing Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JepthasDaughter

JepthasDaughter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:53 PM

Hello new forum:) For the last 2 weeks, I've been working diligently with dear "mas-pogi" i.e. Mark in getting rid of nasty trojans which finally today, have gotten the all-clear:) However, still one minor problem remains and that is when I close out Internet Explorer and NOT using the "safe mode" for IE, I get error messages. Mark had advised me to: 1. Try the "safe" (without add-ons) route to IE which works just fine and no error messages. 2. In the Tools section, disable the HP viewer and try again. Unfortunately, with HP viewer disabled, I still get the error message. And by the way, my computer runs on Windows XP and is a Hewlett-Packard model - HP Media Center PC.

Since the trojan problem is now resolved, Mark sent me to this forum hoping that someone here could help me resolve the problem with the error messages. He also suggested I try using Firefox as an alternative browser which I have downloaded but have not yet installed:)

The error message will sometimes read as: The instruction at "0x629118e" referenced memory at "0x629118e". The memory could not be "read". Click OK to terminate the program. Click on cancel to debug the program. Sometimes it's another set of "numbers" that "cannot be read". It differs from time to time. Sometimes I get no "warning message", but just a message that wants me to send Microsoft a "log" of the problem. I haven't done a "screen shot" of the listing of what the report to Microsoft would "say" but I can do that if asked.

Would appreciate anyone's help in this matter. As I said, it's just a minor problem but definitely an aggravating one.

Thank you in advance,
Jeptha's Daughter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:00 PM

What version of Internet Explorer do you have?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:03 AM

I switched to Firefox after reading about how it was a lot more secure and flexible than IE. Unfortunately, MS keeps downloading IE to my computer, mostly because that's what my internet provider and a lot of websites use.

Firefox has all kinds of nifty add-ons. Try Java No-Script. It has updated about four times in the last few weeks. It can be a pain when you're websurfing, but it has all kinds of settings, and will show a lot of different parties to block when you are visiting news sites that have numerous advertisers with the lastest flashy, mobile, noisy adds, that track across the page as you are desperately trying to read. That's why I got No-Script, and some of the tech security writers are advising its use as well.

A lot of the add-ons just make use of the internet more fun. My main problem is that Windows lately keeps trying to reset my browser to IE, ever since they made IE seven a high priority, thus "necessary" download. I believe that is IE 7. Had a lot of problems for a few days after it downloaded, and was sent many security patches by MS.

I believe there are some topics posted elsewhere on this forum especially about Firefox browser. They have been updating a lot frequently, too. The malware designers have been very, very active lately.

#4 JepthasDaughter

JepthasDaughter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:20 AM

Hello Budapest:) I'm not entirely sure what version of IE I'm using, but I think it's IE-7. If you can tell me where I need to go on my computer or in "tools" or wherever to find this out, then I can get back to you. I right-clicked on the IE button but didn't find an answer. Would it be in the Add/Delete Programs in the Control Panel?

Thanks for your help. LOL, I had to search "high and low" for my post; and finally discovered that it had been moved to this forum.

Thanks!
Jepthas Daughter

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:38 AM

See if this works:

Start Internet Explorer 7. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, click Reset. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset to confirm.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users