Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System and Hardware Drivers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Klink

Klink

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:45 PM

Is it important and/or necessary to update any driver to the most current version? I have run a couple of utilities to determine the need to do this and they (the utilities) have indicated that I have 17 drivers that are outdated. These include the ATI video drivers, Intel ATA Storage Controller, Pro 100 VE Network Connection, Intel PCI Bridge, Intel USB Universal Host Controller-each of which have more than 1 or more driver. There are no issues with my computer that would indicate the need to update any one or all of these drivers.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Vista Home Premium, SP1
Dell Dimension E510
P4 Duo Core 2.2
2 Gb memory

Avast Anti-virus & Malware 4.8
Threatfire 4.0.0.10
Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:06 PM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
It really isn't necessary unless you're having problems with a device
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:22 AM

I don't have a great deal of faith in online scans that determine whether you need to update you drivers, they are out to make money! I agree with garmanma, unless you have a problem with the current drivers, leave it alone.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Klink

Klink
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:55 AM

Thanks garmanma and dc3. You've confirmed my initial thoughts. Much appreciated.
Vista Home Premium, SP1
Dell Dimension E510
P4 Duo Core 2.2
2 Gb memory

Avast Anti-virus & Malware 4.8
Threatfire 4.0.0.10
Windows Firewall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users