Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Peer to Peer XP systems

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:35 AM

This is embarrassing, I'm supposed to know something about PCs, but I can't even get two WindowsXP Pro boxes to talk to one another. Here's the sorry details:

Two WinXP Pro SP2 PC's (call them PC1 and PC2)
Ethernet networked via a 10Mbit hub.
Dialup Internet on PC1.
PC1 LAN address 192.168.0.1
PC2 LAN address is 'automatic'.
PC1 is original machine - "may" have been connected to a server system in the past.
PC2 is new.
Both are similar specs P4 2.8GHz, 256MB, 40GB etc.
PC1 logon is <name>(admin) -no password. Ctl-Alt-Del required to logon.
PC2 logon is <name> (admin) - no password.
Use the network wizard to setup ICS on PC2 - works great.
Both machines on workgroup = WORKGROUP.
Share printer and a folder on PC1, share a folder on PC2 - ok.
Access folder on PC2 from PC1 - no problems.
Try to access anything on PC1 from PC2 and get error message:
Window title "Workgroup":

\\<PC1name> is not accessible. You might not have permission to access this network resource. Contact your network administrator to find out if you have access permissions.
Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.

I've enabled the guest account, uninstalled and reinstalled 'file and printer sharing', used the network wizard to set up PC1 again, turned off windows firewall on the LAN, disabled McAfee firewall on PC2, PC1 is running "Virus Shield" which doesn't appear to have a firewall. I followed a bunch of "solutions" from various tech sites on the internet, which did not work and now I've run out of ideas.

Can someone tell me what the problem is? Even better what the solution is? :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:57 AM

They have different names but the same workgroup?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:29 AM

Yes different computer names, same workgroup.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:32 AM

Ok, you might wanna try this. Share something from the one folder on each computer by doing this. Right click on folder > click sharing > give the folder a shareing name > apply > Ok..

Then try to access the folder typing in the run command.

\\computer name\shared folder name\ and see what happens

Also try to ping each one.

run commmand cmd > ping (ip address of your other pc)

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:40 PM

Each one can ping the other.
I cannot try your other suggestion for a while as the systems are remote, but thanks for posting.

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:27 PM

Are you sure you have permissions set up correctly to allow access?

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:05 PM

Are you sure you have permissions set up correctly to allow access?

No I'm not sure. But I'm fairly confident I have. I tried a number of changes to permissions outlined in different help topics from the internet and got rather confused but basically I have shared folders and allowed "Everyone" full access to the share.
When I look at the folder properties 'Share this folder on the network' is ticked as is the 'Allow network users to change my files' check box.

#8 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:07 PM

Hmm.. if my memory serves me correctly try looking for a "anyone" (i'm not sure if its the same as "everyone."

Also you said you get the error... "location not found"?

Since you can't really get to the other computer (your trying this remotely) are you sure the other one is on? (not meant to be sarcastic)

Also you'll have to give passwords to the accounts you want accessing the files. IF none of this works. Let me know.

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:52 PM

Also you said you get the error... "location not found"?

No I do not see that error, the error message is quoted in my first post.

Since you can't really get to the other computer

I cannot get to either computer quickly, the whole network is elsewhere.

you'll have to give passwords to the accounts you want accessing the files

Interesting, why do you say the accounts must have passwords? Also I don't think this can be the problem since neither machine has a logon password but files in shared folders on PC2 can be read by PC1, just not the other way round.

#10 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:25 PM

Yes give the administrator accounts passwords and try again. Cause when I first started expirmenting with networking a year or two ago, I had no idea what to do. Until I relized I could share folders, then i realized that the files i was accessing kept giving me access denied and other errors and i finally gave them passwords out of curisoity and it worked.

Also try this. create a new account called test//something (user/pass) on pc1 and on pc2 tell it to allow all permissions for test.

If that doesn't work, then I'll try to full re-create the problem.

Edited by yanowhiz, 05 May 2005 - 11:29 PM.

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:31 PM

do you have the same user accounts on both machines?

#12 Rimmer

Rimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 09:27 PM

Yes, the user logs in as "Trisha" on both machines, without a password. Trisha is the computer administrator on PC2 and is an administrator on PC1 (there may be other accounts on PC1, I didn't check).

I've been Googling this error and so far have come up with 12 different "It worked for me" type solutions. Unfortunately since I don't have a PC with XP Pro most of them don't mean much to me. But one seems to fit the need a password idea:

My solution was simply that one of the XP machines didn't allow access to its system without a password. However, there was no password set on the machine.

I changed the security policy (Control Panel / Administrative Tool / Security Policy / Local Profiles / Security Options / Limit Local Account Use of Blank Passwords to Console Login Only) from Enabled to Disabled.

What do you think?

#13 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2005 - 11:32 PM

Yup..thats a good guess. There is a policy that specifies remote logons with no password are not allowed. It is most likely that.

#14 Rimmer

Rimmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:02 AM

Update - PC1 is running XP Pro, PC2 is running XP Home. (I could have sworn I checked it!):thumbsup:

That would make things fit with yanowhiz' 'needs a password' suggestion. And explains why things work in one direction but not the other. Sorry for the incorrect information.

I'll go back to the user with the security policy change and see what happens. :flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 09 May 2005 - 12:04 AM.

#15 Bambino

Bambino

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:54 PM

Rimmer,
Did this work for you? I have the EXACT same problem - but both units are XP Home SP2.

Please advise, I'm happy my desktop can see the laptop, but I need it the otherway around!

Thanks in advance!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users