Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

stolen identity

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 primer

primer

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:09 PM

I would like to know if there is any way to locate someone threw their email address. Someone stole my credit card number and is running up charges. I have their email address and am wondering if It's possible to track them down using it. Any help would be appreciated. Me and my family live in the area hurricane ike recently visited and money is tight right now, this is one thing I didn't need to happen.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 perr

perr

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:20 PM

You can try using whois.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=w...=2&oq=whois

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:01 PM

This is a crime that needs law enforcement involved. Knowing someones email address does not grant you any additional information. Contact your local law enforcement with the information and let them handle it. Then contact your credit card company with the police report case number.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 primer

primer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:50 PM

I plan on getting law enforcement involved. I just want to be able to locate the person at this point. I also have 2 phone numbers that I am researching now. I won't give up on this, I will find them.

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:10 PM

I,personally would not go ringing phone numbers, as they can trace you, and that's not wise,IMO.
Nothing you can do personally,except give them a mouthful.
I would do exactly as Animal has advised,and leave it all to Law enforcement. :thumbsup:

#6 primer

primer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:01 PM

I'm not calling them. I'm using the phone numbers to track them. I don't want them to know that I have their info until I have a badge standing next to me to cuff them. They stole from me. I would gladly help someone who needs my help and asked for it, but I think people who do what they did are dirt.

#7 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:39 PM

I won't even use Pay-Pal,or have any of my financial details, on my Computer.
I use Western Union Currency Transfer,or nothing.
Cyber Crime is rife, and getting worse,and in my opinion, absolute suicide, to put this information,on your PC.
I may be a little Paranoid,so what. :thumbsup:

#8 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:55 AM

http://www.arin.net/tools/whois_help.html That's a link to the Whois help page, will link you to other help sites in other world regions. (If you haven't gone to whois already.)

MSNBC runs quite frequently a 2 hour documentary called "To catch an ID thief." It's about the scam ring that operates out of either Nigeria or Kenya. These folks run all kinds of scam (one individual was caught on tape trying to run several different kinds.)

One thing that is very common are chat room sites where credit card and identity info are auctioned off internationally. Can take less than a minute. Some identity purchasers will then make thousands of dollars' worth of purchases from on-line merchants, many of whom are quite innocent. They will often use straw men and women, innocent dupes who believe they are engaged to marry some fictitious person from overseas. These dupes will accept delivery of packages, which are then picked up by third parties, or will forward them, usually to an address in Africa. Their fake fiancees and fiances will often hit them up for all kinds of money, too.

These folks are dangerous. Go to the FBI. Keep track of any odd packages that are delivered to your door. Remember that mayor on the East Coast of the U.S. whose dog was shot, even tho local law enforcement knew that his family was completely innocent. They even had his 60ish mother-in-law tied up for over an hour because she protested when the cops burst into the house and shot the very friendly golden retriever.

I am not saying this to be alarmist. You should be careful to protect yourself by going to the credit reporting agencies. Because of the economic downturn, already understaffed white collar crime investigators in local, state, and national law enforcement cannot do much except give you informational handouts. Give them what info you have, file a complaint, and keep them posted. File an application for victim's assistance. You may be able to get some money back. And have you cancelled your cards yet? If you haven't, you will be liable for a LOT of money.

Good luck. I have been physically robbed, twice violently, and fortunately, I did not have much of a credit line, so I have never seen any evidence of identity theft. Contact the post office and the social security, everyone you can think of. And prepare for the next time.

Read up on the Sinowal malware designers, while you're at it. You will need to protect the info on your computer and at your banking institutions. They also steal credit card info from on-line vendors.

Take care. I didn't mean to be such a downer, but identity thieves seem to be increasing in number during these tough economic times.

#9 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:15 PM

If you have a Firefox browser, there is an ip address lookup add-on that you can get. I don't think it gives names, but you could go to Whois with the number, which may have multiple listed parties. Whois gives pretty detailed info.

#10 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:02 AM

IMHO, I'd let the authorities handle it.

#11 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 03:31 AM

That was my recommendation, too. But there are a few things he can do which will not endanger himself and will give a badly short-staffed white collar crime unit a head start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users