Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I voted, did you?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:21 PM

Just curious if you did your civic duty today :thumbsup:

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:24 PM

I Voted #2 in line this early MORN. Secretly -ya know! I'm now waiting....
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:44 PM

I voted by mail last week. Which I have done for several elections now. No standing in lines or getting wet/cold for me.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:47 PM

You know that most such are just thrown out?
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:28 PM

At the precinct where I voted, I had to wait until the person checking my ID was available.

I was the only person in line.

In my opinion,

if you don't vote,

no matter who wins,

you shouldn't complain.

Now that I've voted,

I can bleep no matter who wins!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 rangecoach

rangecoach

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:30 PM

We had early voting here in Texas two weeks ago so I took advantage of it. The line tonight looked to be about 150 people deep.
The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

You are never defeated until you admit it. Gen. Patton

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:03 PM

Here my precinct is small. We had a 15 minute wait while some of the bigger local cities had up to a 4 hour wait. This is my first time voting in a Presidential election. I also voted in the Primaries.

#8 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:48 PM

I did not get to vote today. I had hoped to find time but the day got away from me. My Mom needed me. That was more important. I feel guilty about missing out. hehehe I bet I will complain anyway at some point, regardless of the fact I did not get to vote. :thumbsup:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:49 PM

In the small community of 1700 people I walked in, had my neighbor hand me a ballot, and was out in five minutes. It took considerably longer to get my free coffee from Starbucks!

I was amazed thirty minutes ago to hear John McCain concede defeat. Wow, that was fast!

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:53 PM

I hope you all voted, as every vote counts.Don't complain about the results,if you didn't vote.
Here in OZ it's compulsory.
Worries me a bit, if McCain got in, and got sick,then you would have that Religious,gun toting fanatic,with her finger on the button. Scarey. :thumbsup:

#11 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:53 PM

Hey, you Blokes, I just want to say this as a Non American.

The whole World is watching this Election with Baited breath and with Pride!

America is showing the Politications what People Power is all about!

We and particularly I, are very Proud of the People of America that got off their Bum and showed their Feelings!

People Power got rid of Marcos in the Philippines, then bought the Iron Curtain down. America has done the same at the Ballot Box to the people that have got complacent of American people's feelings.

Congratulations to you all!

:thumbsup: :flowers:

#12 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:16 AM

I did not get to vote today. I had hoped to find time but the day got away from me. My Mom needed me. That was more important. I feel guilty about missing out. hehehe I bet I will complain anyway at some point, regardless of the fact I did not get to vote. :thumbsup:

Pandy?

Your Mum is Important, Mate, we can forgive you for that.

It is the ones that just don't be bothered to Vote, then Whinge, Mate.

I wished my Mum was still here to see this.

I think America has spoken out in a loud Voice today!

:flowers:

#13 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:36 AM

:flowers: Thrilled with outcome of national election. 2 exceedingly, appallingly conservative proposed constitutional amendments on the ballot in California today. I was really tired, coming down with a cold, but I mainlined some coffee and went out to vote.

Be thankful La Palin won't be the U.S. vice-president any time soon. She belongs to churches affilliated with the Third Wave and the New Apostolic Reformation. Really scary stuff. And she is very anti-science and anti-environment. She is anti-almost-everything except for her very small and very intolerant religious group. And McCain had changed a lot over the years. He was willing to do anything to win.

Now we wait to see if there will be a Democratic majority in both the houses of Congress and progressives, liberals and moderates elected to most levels of state and local government. It will take a long, long time for the U.S. to dig itself out of the hole that Cheney dug.

At least Democrats believe in putting money into R&D and in trying to make big business act responsibly toward its consumers. We can only hope and pray (if one has religious beliefs) or hope and be vigilant, whether one has religious beliefs or not.

Oh happy day! :thumbsup:

#14 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:11 AM

Religious,gun toting fanatic,with her finger on the button. Scarey.

Obama says he is a Christian too so are you worried about him? Bush said he was a Christian too were you worried about him?
God is in control and so it does not matter who is in the office, it was Gods will. I am not worried.

#15 Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

Guest_fuzzywuzzy6_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:45 PM

I am not worried about Obama. He has faith but he takes a rational approach to religion, using both reason and "faith-based" principles to make ethical decisions Additionally, he received a top-notch legal education at Harvard, serving as editor of the law review, and taught constitutional law for many years. So he also has a very strong civic religion.

"Faith-based" as a term is in disrepute because of Bush's office of faith-based initiatives, which favored many organizations which practiced discriminatory hiring or used funds to enrich their causes rather than serving the public.

It is my belief that George Bush suckered the public with his claims of religiosity. He has a lifelong pattern of avoiding responsibility by various means, such as joining the National Guard, then not showing up for his flight training missions. That way he avoided going to war. He went to Alcoholics Anonymous, so he could claim he had reformed his personality and made amends for his addictive behaviors, but while he is no longer an alcoholic, he certainly has not behaved in a responsible manner. Also, there is evidence that he was, in fact, addicted to cocaine. He has never admitted responsibility for that. One of his former press secretaries overheard him on more than one occasion stating that he (Bush) did not remember how much cocaine he had taken.

Bush became a born-again Christian of the gnostic type. I at first believed him to be sincere (I am not a Christian, but did live in Houston, Texas for many years, where there are many born-again, or conservative evangelicals). His speeches in public made it clear that he thought G-d had blessed and approved of his actions. A sort of gnostic Christianity; since I have been born again, all my past behaviors have been forgiven by G-d, and anything I do from now on will be okay, regardless of ethical content or its effect on others. Paul, of course, would not have approved. It became clear from Bush's conduct in office that this born-again status was actually a pose to win over the conservative evangelicals, which had a formidable political machine in this country, and influence far beyond their due, since they were opposed to religious freedom for anyone who opposed their views, civil rights for many, and freedom of speech, among many other things. that is not to say that some among the religious right were not decent people deeply worried about the state of affairs in our nation.

I am a strict monotheist (my religious affiliation is not important here). I have studied other religions and had friends of many faiths and denominations. It is my personal belief that G-d would prefer a secular humanist society. Each person would inform his humanism from his religious and/or philosophical beliefs, while tolerating others and respecting their rights. I also believe in free will. That free will is conditioned by genetics and real world events and situations, but in most cases, we have choices we can make. It was said by medieval theologians that G-d knows the future, but up until the act is done, there is always a possibility to change it.

It has been said by some philosophers and social scientists (and I strongly agree) that, while G-d created man in his spiritual image, man has constantly recreated G-d in his own image. That is, we each imagine a different sort of G-d, based on our own predilections. As man has gained knowledge, his concepts of G-d have evolved over time, sometimes being subject to fads and whims. The more we long for moral advances in society, the more we demand from G-d. That is as it should be. In the U.S., there was a longing to return to the G-d of the pre-Talmudic 5 Books of Moses. That was written by 3 or 4 people, over many generations. There are many conflicts in the the 5 books. There are conflicts in the creation story. References to the Judaeo-Christian heritage were co-opted by the religious right, many of whom did not respect the Jewish tradition, and did not understand that, by the time of Jesus, the rabbis had re-interpreted the O.T. in favor of a G-d who was more compassionate and loving, and trying to juggle the 500+ laws and commandments to reflect changes in living situations and increases in knowledge. It is very dangerous to take any part of the Bible literally, and it is even more dangerous to let theocrats rule a society. It leads to oppression and worse. It looks like Prop 8 is winning in California, which would deny gays the rights to marry. Marriage is a civil institution, with individuals choosing which religious mores to adhere to in their personal lives. In the interest of promoting social stability and happy, fulfilled lives for its citizens, the right for gays to marry in a legal context should be upheld. Ignorance and fear are very poor bases for making policy decisions.

and no, I am not gay, I am just tired of seeing yahoos (see Gulliver's travels for reference) oppressing those they are afraid of and restricting the civil and medical rights of women.

This thread may not have much to do with computers and AI, but it does concern the parties who are either interested in R&D and education, and those who resent both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users