Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ADVENT 7098 WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION WONT START UP!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 James912

James912

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:44 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm not the best on computers so i appologise in advance. I have had an Advent 7098, Windows XP Home Edition for over a year now. Up til now it has been working perfectly, but for some reason when i go to turn it on it goes onto a screen asking me whether i would like to log on using:
-safe mode
-Safe mdoe with networking
-Safe mode with command prompt

-Last known config

-Start Windows Normally.

I have tried all of these, whenever i click on a safe mode option it writes a load of letters and finishes at agpcpq.sys. At this point the computer just restarts and does this continuasly.

When i select last known config or start windows normally is takes me onto the windows loading screen and then flashes with a blue screen for a milisecond and restarts, it then does this continuasly.

Please can someone help me out with this, im getting really frustrated with it. Is it possible to do a system restore when it's starting up?

Please get back to me as soon as you can, Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:18 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 James912

James912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:05 PM

Unfortunately my that laptop didn't come with a windows disk. I tried downloading it but it took several disks and there's no way im going to leave my new laptop on for hours just to download the files, then write them to a disk. Any other ways to do it?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:13 PM

You can make your own Recovery Console CD with this file:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 James912

James912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:41 PM

Hi again, this didnt work for some reason. Is there a way to do a system restore before it gets to turn off?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users