Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot from disc problems.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ichigo Kurosaki

Ichigo Kurosaki

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:54 PM

Hi. I have been trying to boot from a backup disc to Windows Vista Ultimate to dual boot with Win XP Pro, and it won't read the disc at startup. I have changed the settings in the BIOS to boot from the CD Drive first (though it doesn't specify either one.) I have made sure that my computer can run Vista. I think the problem may be that my CD drive doesn't work, and it doesn't try to read from my DVD drive. I was thinking about changing the DVD drive from Slave to Primary, but I wanted to see if anybody had any suggestions first. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:00 PM

Hi,

You will need to set the drive you are placing the CD into to be the primary drive.

Change your DVD to be primary and then try it.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 Ichigo Kurosaki

Ichigo Kurosaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:03 PM

Thanks, I thought that may be it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:04 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Basics: What makes you think that the backup...is bootable?

I don't back up to optical media...but does your backup automatically create bootable backup CDs?

What is this "backup disk" that you refer to? What program created it?

Louis

#5 Ichigo Kurosaki

Ichigo Kurosaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:23 PM

Because I ripped the Vista Ultimate CD and burned it as a Bootable disc using Roxio.

Edit: btw Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I didn't see one specific to this particular topic.

Edited by Ichigo Kurosaki, 04 November 2008 - 02:25 PM.

#6 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:27 PM

Because I ripped the Vista Ultimate CD and burned it as a Bootable disc using Roxio.

Mods/Admin : Is this banned by Forum Rules or can we continue? Not quite sure myself with this one.

Edited by Emu1616, 04 November 2008 - 02:27 PM.

~ E-Mu ~

#7 Ichigo Kurosaki

Ichigo Kurosaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:45 PM

Would that be banned? It says in the user agreement that you can have one backup of it I think.
I did pay for the software, and I have the original disc at my house.

Edit: I looked it up, and Microsoft actually recommends to create a backup copy of the disc, so I don't see why this would be banned.

Edited by Ichigo Kurosaki, 04 November 2008 - 02:52 PM.

#8 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:19 PM

Forum Rules forbid talking about copied software etc, due to the nature of this being a 'backup copy' that is why i was seeking advise from a mod/admin before we continue any further, ultimately it will be their decisions to allow/ban this thread.

Edit: However in the mean time, if this is a correctly burned bootable disk then it should be working ok, try physically disconnecting the CD drive, set the DVD as primary and see if you can get it to boot.

Edited by Emu1616, 04 November 2008 - 03:21 PM.

~ E-Mu ~

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:14 PM

IMO, OP is right about the copy.

It's the license/key...that is the property which cannot be used on multiple computer systems. I've used one CD and 10 different licenses on systems which I have bought.

Louis

#10 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:08 PM

IMO, OP is right about the copy.

It's the license/key...that is the property which cannot be used on multiple computer systems. I've used one CD and 10 different licenses on systems which I have bought.

Louis

Im not saying OP was wrong about the copy, he is correct in what he says, but merely the fact i have before walked the fine line at BC in regards to copyrighted material and was not wanting to cross that again.
~ E-Mu ~

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:22 PM

LOL, understood :thumbsup:.

Louis

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:24 PM

This is a touchy legal subject and is (IMO) beyond the expertise of mere mortals. The opinions that I have read are that the use of someone else's disk is illegal according to the EULA. But that it wasn't likely to be enforced as long as it was being used for legal purposes.

But, regardless of the legality of it, it just adds another level of complexity to the troubleshooting process. I'd suggest trying to boot with a legitimate disk and see if that works. That will tell us if it's the copy or the system that's the problem.

FWIW - I can't find the links to the opinions that I've read in the past.

Edited by usasma, 04 November 2008 - 05:25 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users