Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching Between Code Pages

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sephoran

Sephoran

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:46 PM

Hello,

I have a select few applications that require Windows to be using the Korean code page. However, every time I change this through the regional and language settings in the control panel, it requires a restart of the computer. If I want to change it back to English, I must once again restart. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to easily switch between English and Korean code pages without restarting the computer. I am using Windows XP Home, SP3.

Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:02 PM

I have to do the same thing.
I've not found a work around yet.
I'll be watching this thread for such.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:58 PM

Is the following tool (AppLocale) applicable to this situation? I really have no idea, but the description seems to match what you want. The information below refers to "legacy applications", and AppLocale is somewhat dated and is unsupported by Microsoft, but evidently AppLocale is still available from Microsoft:

"AppLocale":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_AppLocale

"The Microsoft AppLocale Utility":

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/apploc.mspx

#4 Sephoran

Sephoran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:15 PM

Unfortunately, applocale will not work because the application has a separate launcher, which then launches the application.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:40 PM

This is something that a virtual machine seems to be custom made for.
I've got 4 different VM's open on my system now and it doesn't slow me down very much.
They're only taking 34,964K of memory, but their I/O Reads is very high (6,460,000) - but the system hasn't been rebooted in a long time and the different background processes are accessing them regularly (in other words, if I paid a bit more attention to them, they would work properly! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Sephoran

Sephoran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:20 PM

I'm not too familiar with virtual machines, usasma. Are there any specific programs you would recommend I try out?

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:30 PM

I use Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 - it's free, but it doesn't work on XP Home.
I've heard good things about VMWare's offerings, but don't know much about them.
I recently tried the free Virtual Box ( http://www.virtualbox.org/ ) and found it easy to use (but didn't actually install a virtual OS in it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Sephoran

Sephoran
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I've done a little research and I think I'll be trying out VirtualBox. I would have never though of using a virtual machine. Thanks usasma. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

EDIT: I think this program uses a bit too much RAM to be run on a virtual machine. I'll be looking for other options, but for now I'll have to try and get used to the won symbol (₩) in my file names and random words coming up in Korean. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sephoran, 06 November 2008 - 02:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users