Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how long until it dies completely?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zaroba

zaroba

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:31 AM

i am certain that one of my monitors is going bad. it seems that sometimes lately the monitor wont initialize when turning it on.

i have the pc on 24/7 and duel 19" LCD monitors. i just manually turn off the monitors when i leave the pc and its not set to put them on standby. on friday and saturday morning when i turned them both on, one would just flicker and not even fully initialize. after shutting down and turning back on the pc, it would work fine again. to make sure it wasn't the video card, i swapped the two monitors so they used different cables and different ports on the video card and the same monitor did it again this morning.

the monitor is a 19" hanns-g model HX192D and its only a year and a half old.
rest of my pc stats are in my sig

so, has this happened to anybody else? if so, how long did it take for it to die completely?
i'm certain its on its way out already.

Case: Fractal Design Define XL | OS: Windows 10 - 64bit | Monitor: 3x 22" widescreen LCD
Ram: 16 gb ddr3 | GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970
HDs: 64gd ssd, 2tb Seagate Barracuda | Mobo: ASUS P8P67 LE
CPU: Intel Core i5 - 2500 @ 3.3GHz| PSU: 850Watt Thermaltake Black Widow

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:44 PM

It's hard to pinpoint when and if it will die. You just might get lucky
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,776 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:02 PM

At a guess, it probably has failing electrolytic capacitors in the power supply, or possibly a bad solder joint or joints on something like one of the backlight inverter transformers. Like garmanma says, no way to say how it will go, but it's unlikely to improve.

If the problem is a cold solder joint or joints, getting a tech to solder over the PSU/inverter board(s) would clear it up, and avoid eventually damaging the inverter transistors or similar. Likewise, bad capacitors can often be spotted by appearance, as they usually bulge, split or leak (had a 19" Samsung over the bench this week with that).
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:54 AM

getting a tech to solder over the PSU/inverter board(s) would clear it up

Quoted to emphasize that you do NOT want to go opening up a monitor and playing with its insides. There's enough juice stored in there to literally kill you, even with it unplugged.

#5 zaroba

zaroba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:55 PM

not thinking its the monitor(s) now.

the monitors have been swapped since the original post and i haven't had any problems for the past week, but they have started again. and with the monitor that wasn't acting up before. and the original one that wasn't working is doing fine. since it seems to be happening based on the video cards port, i'm now guessing its the almost 3 year old 8800gts and not the 2 monitors which are both less then 2 years old.

but...the fact that i can just unplug the monitors power cord for a min or two to make it work fine still makes me think the monitors are wearing out.
wtf...are both monitors AND the video card on there way out?

Edited by zaroba, 14 November 2008 - 09:56 PM.

Case: Fractal Design Define XL | OS: Windows 10 - 64bit | Monitor: 3x 22" widescreen LCD
Ram: 16 gb ddr3 | GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970
HDs: 64gd ssd, 2tb Seagate Barracuda | Mobo: ASUS P8P67 LE
CPU: Intel Core i5 - 2500 @ 3.3GHz| PSU: 850Watt Thermaltake Black Widow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users