Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Constant windows updates running then shut down! (dell inspiron vista)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 diva80

diva80

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:09 AM

hi there,

i am a new user, and since past week my laptop has not been operating correctly. I am not a techie person, but feel I am fairly good with computers in general, but this problem I have is a strange one.

I am using a Dell Inspiron on Vista, and recently every time I start up my laptop, I see the big Dell logo load up as normal, and then it goes to the blue updates screen, and then runs the timer saying 'update 1 of 3' and it will run up to nearly 100% complete for the first update and then the laptop will turn off by itself, restart and then its back to the same updates screen again. This will keep happening continuously each time I switch the system on. Its nothing to do with the power either as this happens even when its plugged in.

One time I actually switched it on (after it being off for 3 days) and it loaded onto the normal Windows menu screen, and I instantly loaded my Kaspersky software to run a scan, which it started, and then the laptop shut down and then again back to the blue updates screen, which it has been doing constantly since then.

I even tried the Diagnostics scan which you do on start up by pressing F12 (I think), which didn't come up with any problems, and then when Diagnostics scan was finished, it again went back to the blue updates screen.

I even tried pressing Ctrl + F11 on switching on the laptop, trying to get it to erase everything and go back to factory standard, but even that wasn't working. I don't mind losing any data on it, as most of my files are kept on my hard drive.

I am lucky I can check internet at work, but we can't go on the internet at home or do anything else.

I don't know what else to do, as I didn't take out the Dell cover, and don't want to spend money getting it fixed at a clinic. I am fed up!!! Anyone with any advice, please!??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:42 AM

Hi,

Can you boot into safe mode?

Switch on your laptop and instantly start tapping F8, if you get to the selection screen, select Safe Mode.

If this works trying restoring your laptop back to a day or two before you downloaded the latest updates for now.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 diva80

diva80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:49 AM

Hi, thanks for response.

I did manage to get it onto Safe Mode, but even then it still went to the blue updates screen, which was strange. Whatever happens, it seems to always go back there!

#4 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:29 AM

Ok,

I agree it's strange if you cant even enter safe mode.

Do you know what updates its trying to install? eg, KBXXX?

Ive had a scout around google but cant get anything definite from there yet. Maybe someone else could shed some light.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#5 diva80

diva80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:56 AM

not sure which updates they are, when I go home I will check again. I'm pretty sure its just standard Windows Updates, but I'm sure there must be some bug which is making it go round and round in circles. If I can get any more information I will post back...

thanks...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users