Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Infection of I.E. and/or XP Registry

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:00 PM

Hi techies

I have not nailed down the exact problem or cause yet but here is a list of the symptoms
(PART A) followed by what I have done so far (PART :flowers: with applicable results where possible.
I sure hope that someone or a bunch of you can provide some assistance because this
is really getting to me.

PART A:
Internet explorer, in its infinite wisdom, just quits running as evidenced in the task-manager.
Sometimes ESC followed by F5 will bring it back to life. Sometimes nothing will make it wake-up
and other times just a click of the mouse in the window will revive it.

This happens at various points in time, it could be while transferring to WEB-Mail, or searching for
something with Google or ASK or Yahoo. At times it goes to sleep while reading web-mail but is
not limited to that SOMETIMES it falls asleep while perusing mail in outlook express or Thunderbird.

The duration, if just left alone is about 5 minutes or thereabouts. It has fallen asleep during this post
so far for about 30 seconds (the refresh key F5 woke the system).

Ohhh! sometimes it will take a program up to a minute to launch and display fullly and sometimes
10-seconds will do it. There is no rhyme or reason that I can find.

PART B:

1. I followed the instructions/recommendations posted here about running Ad_Aware and Spybot S&D.

2. I have scanned with McAfee.

3. I have scanned with AVG ver 8 both in windows and from the command line.
This is the fun part - nothing showed up but a couple of PUPS. The same ones that Spybot
detected and did not or could not get rid of.

NOTE: I HAVE A FEELING THAT IN MY HASTE TO FIND OUT WHAT IS GOING ON I MAY HAVE COMPOUNDED
THE PROBLEM A LITTLE (DUMB ME!!) BY NOT DISABLING SYSTEM RESTORE. I SAY THIS BECAUSE I SAW
SOMETHING FLY BY ON THE SCREEN WHICH REFERENCED THAT PARTITION/SECTION. ARGHHHH!!!!

4. I created a HyjackThis log prior to the scans and will do another at the end.

5. I also purchased a copy of Uniblue's Register Booster at the recommendation of a friend. I am not
happy with the software as it doesn't seem to work as advertised. It caught 54 positives and cleaned 34
or so it said. I'm concerned about the veracity of this software bacause it reported 4 instances of wrong
paths and one of a missing registry key for Turbo Tax (YUP!! IT IS ALMOST THAT TIME AGAIN!!) Their
report must be wrong because the software works perfectly - I tested every single menu option. YUCK!!

6. I am considering purchasing reg-cure with the refund I get from Uniblue. Consumer's guides gave
it a very high rating. CAN ANYONE OUT THERE PROVIDE ASSISTANCE??

7. I have run Trend Micro's Housecall Anti Virus Ver 6.5 as recommended by the BC.

8. I also ran two other registry checkers which do nothing but display and poing out possible discrepancies
but saw nothing even remotely intrieguing. I will run Panda and Bit Defender probably tomorrow as
recommended by BC.

9. I have also started I.E. without using the add-ons and it didn't seem to make any difference.

10. Whatever cold or bug my system has, it is acting older than my almost 70 years. :thumbsup:

***************** PLEASE ASSIST IF YOU CAN AND WILL **************

Thank you in advance. I hope to be able to assist someone else who has problems..

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 November 2008 - 01:00 AM.
Move from HiJack This forum to Am I Infected as there are no logs. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users