Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing mobo and CPU, Xp reinstall?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 some12

some12

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:22 PM

Hi, I hope this is the right scetion, it could fit in many, but I think it comes down to internal hardware really, if a mod thinks different please move it.

Tomorrow I am going to be receiving my case from newegg so I can start to put together my new build, but
for this build I went with saving a few parts from my old pc, including the hard drive.
I think my situation might be a bit different from other peoples as I am going from an amd motherboard to
intel.

My current setup http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T3418
Going to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813138132 and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115052

Now I am wondering what my options are,
Will I just have to reinstall windows and lose all my data? Or if I have to reinstall windows is there any way
to save my data? I also think there is a repair option would this work?

I also have a windows xp system recovery disc from emachines, which comes loaded with all the drivers
for this prebuilt system, so wouldn't installing from that almost be the same as not doing it?
And if it is possible to not doing anything and use my current installation, I was told there would be some
stray DLLs and my OS could be unstable some, would there be any way to stabilize it or get rid of
unneeded DLLs?
Thank you for the help in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:12 AM

You will not be able to use the recovery CD to install the operating system on the hdd after you install it in your new build. The recovery disc is locked to the BIOS of the emachine's motherboard.

As for just installing it in the new build, there are plug and play IDs that the registry recognizes from the chipset of the motherboard, and when you change the motherboard the registry sees the IDs of the new chipset which will confuse the operating system when it tries to start. When this happens it usually will require reinstalling the operating system.

Edited by dc3, 05 November 2008 - 03:35 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:06 AM

Sometimes, if you are VERY lucky, you can do a repair install using the original disks. :thumbsup:

I emphasize the Lucky part though. :flowers:

Good luck.

DR

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:11 PM

Worth reading:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users