Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Startup and Run problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Immortalis

Immortalis

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:13 PM

I have a PC I built myself with Vista home premium and it had ran fine, but I have an issue with slow startup and sometimes the hardware issue screen vista gives before it automatically restarts. I have a Gigabyte MA790GPDS4H mobo with a 9850 BE CPU. I OCed the CPU to 3gigs and all ran fine. Istarted tweaking it and it wouls either lock up or run, but not pass Load tests. All was good because I was just testing its ability. One day I went to start up and it was real slow and when it finally started I got a shutdown screen after a few minutes. It was OCed to 3gig which was fine for a week. It got to the point it would not run @ stock speed. I thought maybe Vista did not like my raid so I reinstalled Vista with no raid. It did the same thing again. It only does this after a few times of changing bios settings. I was able to boot Vista, but it ran slow. So I Cleared the Cmos and when I started up, my date and time was set to Jan 1,2008. I changed the time and date and everything has been good. 1 minor issue with my internet explorer, but it's all good now. Can anyone tell me what is wrong with Vista? I have never had an issue like this in my life. Was there some kind of profile reset when date went to the past?

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:11 AM

If clearing the CMOS fixed the problem, then issue isn't with Vista.
I suspect that there was a setting in the BIOS that didn't agree with your system setup - and clearing that is what made the computer able to work. The first step in any troubleshooting of an overclocked system is to reset everything to the stock values to avoid just this sort of problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Immortalis

Immortalis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:40 PM

Thank you. Can you tell me why Vista had trouble working correctly even if I changed all settings back to stock until I cleared my bios? I just wounder if there is a file made in Vista that reflects bios settings and if they are corrupt it will run badly?

Edited by Immortalis, 04 November 2008 - 07:44 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:12 AM

If you cleared all settings back to stock before clearing the CMOS - then it's either a flaw in your motherboard's BIOS or you may have missed a setting when clearing them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Immortalis

Immortalis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:05 AM

Thank you very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users