Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer acting weird

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dnap

dnap

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:49 PM

it all started about 2 weeks ago, and ive only had my computer up and running again for like 3 weeks. at first, windows update wouldnt connect, it would try but use up almost all of the CPU, and my computer would run slow. then after getting help with a microsoft tech we got it working running all kinds of command prompt stuff, and i was able to get my updates, but even still its acting weird. like anytime wuauclt.exe runs, it still uses a lot of CPU, and freezes up, and it wouldnt read my zip drive, and as soon as i close it in task manager, everything is fine.

the sound is always glitchy, and skips all the time, like when i start it up, after the blue screen when it makes the welcome noise or whatever you want to call it, it skips there, and any music i play it does it as well randomly. then, if i try to stop playing music, windows media player will freeze up, and my CPU usage will skyrocket, ive never had a problem with my sound period, so why now?

then it freezes up a lot opening folders or programs for no reason, and occasionly task manager will say its using a lot of CPU when the only thing using any is system idle process, makes no sense to me.

i checked event viewer, and nothing worth mentioning showed up.

CPU - AMD FX-8350 Black Edition

Motherboard -MSI 990FXA-GD80

Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Video Card - MSI Radeon R9 280

Storage - Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM

Power Supply - hec XP1080 800W

Case - Antec DF-35

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:55 PM

Have you tried any general maintenance type things like making sure the hard drive isn't full, defragging the hard drive, running chkdsk, running the System File Checker.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:13 PM

the hard drive only has 16gb used out of 140gb, so im sure thats fine. i know right after i installed the hard drive, chkdsk ran, and fixed something about the partitions, and i ran it again recently to make sure there was nothing else wrong, and nothing showed up. as for the system file checker, how do i run that?

EDIT: nevermind, i didnt realize you meant sfc /scannow, yes, ive already tried that too, thanks for trying though

Edited by dnap, 03 November 2008 - 08:15 PM.

CPU - AMD FX-8350 Black Edition

Motherboard -MSI 990FXA-GD80

Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Video Card - MSI Radeon R9 280

Storage - Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM

Power Supply - hec XP1080 800W

Case - Antec DF-35

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:24 PM

Try using Process Explorer to see what is using all the CPU when this problem occurs.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssexplorer.mspx
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users