Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hanging on startup ...sooo slow, 'nothing' happening

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rose1957

Rose1957

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:41 PM

Hi - I have a Laptop - Dell Inspiron, 2005 model, running XP Home, SP2. Hangs on startup while loading the desktop. No response to anything, just the timer. Cannot get to internet for updates (not even SP3) or help. I have tried copying Malbytes AntiMalware onto flash drive so I could run it in Safe Mode, (Safe mode works fine but no internet access of course), but says Run Time Error 0. Same flashdrive and I can run MBAM on my standalone computer no problems. I have unfortunately lost my Windows disks. Have run scans from SuperAntiSpyware twice, while in Safe Mode, nothing found but some tracking cookies (quarantined). I then ran SGFix (said it found nothing, but was going to reset everything back to defaults) and it looked promising for a few secs on startup, all icons returned and internet explorer looked good, nearly loaded up, but then it hung again. Any assistance appreciated, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rose1957

Rose1957
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:34 AM

A little more info..
Cannot get to Last Known good configuration as the time has lapsed since the last restore point made.
I do however have a Dell Windows XP Home including SP1a install disk.
Worth a shot maybe?

#3 Rose1957

Rose1957
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 01:11 PM

I've reinstalled Windows from the disk, (SP1a) and its loading up fine. Can anyone tell me what service packs need to be installed in what order?
thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users