Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

fan broken, but its not

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:31 PM

I have a fan that is broken, but it works with other computers, which leads me to believe that it is my mother board which has screwed up. I was trying to upgrade a rather old comptuer (windows ME Pentium 3) when I plug in the fan, and some other wrire into the wrong connector, and now the fan does not work. What should I do? What can I do? ANy help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:58 PM

Is this the original fan to the computer? If it's a newer fan and doesn't work with an older computer, but works with newer ones, then maybe there's an age compatibility issue (then again, I don't know of much that could of changed in fans in the pass few years)
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:38 PM

How many wires does the fan have, 2-3 or 4? how many pins on the fan header on the motherboard? Is the plug aligned properly to the header? Maybe using a multispeed fan on a single speed header, or vice-versa
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 oneup

oneup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

It is the original fan, and it has three wires, and three holes that I plug into a three pronged port thing. When I plug the origonal fan into another computer, it works fine, and when I take the fan from the second comptuer (which worked in the second comptuer) and plug it into my Windows ME computer, it does not work.
Posted Image

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:35 PM

Isn't there an alternate connector on the power supply...which could be used for that fan (since you suspect the motherboard connection)?

Louis

#6 oneup

oneup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:19 PM

there are not other connectors I can plug the fan into on the power supply. I suspect I blew something. Is that possible? or did I fry something and its trash?

Its not a fan on the cpu heat sink, its a fan that just points toward it. Its a rather old computer.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users