Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

crazy mouse

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 doug61111

doug61111

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:54 PM

Hi:
my name is doug61111, and I just join the forum. I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have a crazy mouse, sometime it works fine, and sometimes it just starts going crazy opening and closing programs. I have to shut down the computer in order to regain control. The only was to shut down is if I hit the control, alt, delete buttons two times or turn the computer off! this is starting to drive me crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
doug61111

//Mod edit: email address edited to protect you from spam bots

Edited by KoanYorel, 04 May 2005 - 09:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:10 AM

Hi Doug
Please answer these questions for me:
Is it an optical mouse or a ball mouse?
What kind of mouse mat are you using (describe the surface please)?
If you put a piece of newspaper on top of the mouse mat does the problem go away?

:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 05 May 2005 - 04:10 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 doug61111

doug61111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:41 PM

1. It is a ball mouse
>2. It is a mouse pad that gateway sent us, and I have tried useing a
blank
>paper under the mouse, and it is still doing it's own thing
>
>It just goes crazy opening and closing different things like it has a
mind
>of it's own. Is it possible that I have a virus or spyware trying to
read
>imformation from my computer. I have Avast anti-virus protection.
>thanks for the response to my first entry.
>
>doug61111

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:30 PM

Well there goes my theory about optical mice. :thumbsup:

Is this a USB, PS/2 or Serial mouse? Have you tried a replacement and got the same erratic result?

The same problem was posted a while ago but the individual never posted back to say what fixed it so I don't know what to suggest.

You can do a spyware check on your system by following this:

Do you have any anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

See if that helps :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 weizman

weizman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:05 AM

hi, I would like to check in here, I have the same problem with my logitech optical mouse. It totally randomly starts pointing dragging clicking etc. At the logitech site they told me to install the newest version of a program called Setpoint. I don't know what the program does, but it doesn't help. The next thing logitech tried to tell that the problem will be solved by cleaning my mouse... yeah right, my mouse is clean.
So I find this forum, I did all the spyware en anti-virus scans but did not find anything relevant. I don't wont to install a new mouse because I like this one. Can you help me out?

tx,

weizman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users