Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to protect files/folders from being deleted?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Yorkie

Yorkie

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:20 PM

Hi,

Is it possible to protect files/folders from being deleted?

I have some files that have been encrypted so they cannot be read but wondered if there was an way to protect them from being deleted. I know I could hide the file in the "Properties" menu but I want to stop them from being deleted if possible.

Thanks for you time...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:12 PM

You can set the permissions such that only you have access to the file.

In Explorer right-click on the file and select Properties > Security tab.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:56 AM

When I select properties I don't get the Security tab, I only get the General & Summary Tabs?

Even if I log on in Safe Mode as the Administrator I still don't get the Security tab.

Edited by Yorkie, 08 November 2008 - 05:05 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:19 AM

XP Home does not come with the Security Tab access to permissions installed...but a user can easily add it.

I find it very convenient, completely eliminates any need for me to go to safe mode.

How Do I See the Security tab in XP Home (Doug Knox) - http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm

Louis

#5 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:36 AM

Thanks, I have managed to get the Security Tab now.

What settings do I need to set to stop "a file" being deleted?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:36 AM

The first step here is to ensure that you're the owner of those files.
Click on the Advanced button in the Security tab,
then click on the Owner tab.

If you're shown as the owner already, just click on OK
If not, then there may or may not be a little box there that says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects". If so, put a checkmark there.
Then double click on your profile that's listed in the box labeled "Change owner to:"
Click on Apply to apply the changes.

Once that's done, you can go back to the main page of the security tab.
Left click once on the top group in the box (this will highlight it) that says "Group or user names"
Then select the appropriate permissions in the "Permissions for ..." box
-- Deny permissions overrule Allow permissions - so use them cautiously.
-- Test the settings when you're done to ensure that they behave the way that you want them to.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

When I select the options to deny certain users the right to delete a particular file and then I test it the user can delete the file.

Any ideas what options I need to select to stop certain uses from deleting files?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,114 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2008 - 09:25 PM

Rather than try to deny users permissions...I would just see that users don't have permission to do anything other than read, whatever other rights you want to give them.

Using the security tab...System & Administrators...these are the only parties that need full permissions. So put tick marks in all the boxes for those two groups (actually just put it in the top and it fills in the rest automatically). There should be nothing ticked for Special Permissions.

All users or whatever other groups you have...you just select only the permissions you want them to have...and give them less control.

I don't know if you are doing this as a general policy or just for a group of files...but it's easier if you start the adjustment of permissions at the highest point (directory, partition, drive). That will take care of all lower tiers with a minimum of work.

Louis

#9 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2008 - 04:28 AM

It is just a group of files/folders that I want to be able to protect from being deleted.

Is there no way of making it that if someone tried to deleted a file the pc wouldn't allow it and a message would come up saying "can't delete"?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,114 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:40 AM

Have you even bothered...to look at the permissions reflected on the Security Tab?

In my world...deleting qualifies as a modification.

Louis

#11 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:45 AM

Have you even bothered...to look at the permissions reflected on the Security Tab?

In my world...deleting qualifies as a modification.

Louis

Course I have.

I denied "delete" for a file but I was still able to delete it. Hence why I'm asking what settings I need.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,114 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:55 AM

I've tried to explain this to you but you don't seem to be following...please go back and read post #8 for my interpretation of what should be done and how.

I may be wrong but I know that would work on my systems.

Edit: Although there are 2 columns for permissions using the Security Tab...there is no need to put anything in the Deny column. All you have to do is...remove the tick mark in the Allow column that gives that class of user...those rights.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 November 2008 - 09:07 AM.

#13 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:32 AM

All the check boxes in the allow column are ticked and greyed out, so I can't change them?

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,114 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:47 AM

This is the best guide that I can find to use as a reference: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308419

I was wrong about the Delete permission, it seems to be a special permission further described in the link above.

Louis

#15 Yorkie

Yorkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:39 AM

Thanks hamluis,

I will have a read through and see what I can find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users