Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about Dells PSUs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:19 PM

I've done a bit of research before coming here. I want to buy a 9800GTX card to upgrade my system, but it says it needs 450 watts minimum. My Dim 8400 system is a 350w, but many MANY forums say Dell underrates their PSUs. Would you say that I should be able to run a 450w card? Also, if I can't, do you think I could underclock the thing to lower the wattage needed? Thanks in advance.
Also, do you think it should be able to run a 400w 9800GT?

Edited by Ryan 3000, 03 November 2008 - 03:20 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:21 PM

That is a significant difference between the PSU's, over 100 watts. Before you purchase a 9800 GTX, make sure you can install a 10 inch long card in your PCIexpress slot. If you really want that card, you should upgrade your PSU.

Edited by DJBPace07, 03 November 2008 - 04:21 PM.

3939.png

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:25 PM

Keep in mind that a lot of things are designed to go over their rated capacity. This is called a safety margin. You might be able to exceed it momentarily but continuously is another matter and will greatly decrease its longevity. Not to mention the problems it can cause on other parts

Edited by garmanma, 03 November 2008 - 05:26 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:35 PM

I would buy a new one usually stock power supplies have just enough power for the stock system. Plus you need to find out how many amps the 9800gtx requires usually its 26A + which the dell power supply probably doesn't produce.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:51 PM

Generally, if you get a power supply that is SLI or CrossfireX compatible, they have the necessary amperage for the card. Most stock power supplies used in major manufacturers aren't that good.

3939.png

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:06 PM

As Lucky23 stated, you should see how many amps the psu has on the +12V rail(s). If it has less than 25, I don't think it will be good enough to power a 9800GTX. Dell does underrate their power supplies usually. I had a dell with a 250-watt power supply, and ran a graphics card that needed at least a 300-watt power supply. It ran quite stable for more than a year. It was only a cheapy PCI slot graphics card though.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#7 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:23 PM

Thanks to all for the quick replies. I was most concerned about wattage, but I also knew there could be an amp problem. Unfortunately, I believe Dell makes their own form factors for these desktops and I know for a fact that I have my highest wattage available. Please tell me I'm wrong, that Dell PSUs are normal size PSUs? Anyway, if so, I've also heard that some dells have a mobo with mixed up pin settings, only matched by their PSUs. If a Dell PSU and a Dell mobo are not together, they fry (from what I hear).

BTW sterling hows that Fallout 3?

Edited by Ryan 3000, 05 November 2008 - 05:24 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:27 PM

Some higher-end models of Dell PC's have standard PSU's, I think. I cannot speak for Sterling, but I'm enjoying Fallout 3. I wish they made the level cap higher.

3939.png

#9 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:42 PM

After a little searching, I found a forum where a person manually checked the pinout of an 8400's main mobo wiring and said yes it is completely normal. Good luck to me, eh?
One more question. No PSU i've found has a 26A 12v rail. Is 2 x 18A rails good enuf?

Edited by Ryan 3000, 05 November 2008 - 08:52 PM.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

Most proprietary wiring with power supplies are a thing of the past.The main concern is physical size. Especially if you have a slimline or small form factor case. You've got to measure the replacement carefully. Not the height and width as much as the depth. I shoehorned one in a HP a while back

Edited by garmanma, 06 November 2008 - 12:04 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:21 AM

I've got a normal sized mid-desktop. It's standing up, around 8 inches wide. I think the PSU is standard ATX form factor. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ryan 3000, 06 November 2008 - 07:21 AM.

#12 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:40 PM

That seems like a good power supply, and you would add the total of amps on the +12V rails so you would have 36a which should be plenty.

I think the power supply should fit. I've replaced power supplies in dells and they usually fit well and the connections are usually all compatible. Even if it doesn't totally fit, you could make it fit with a little force :thumbsup: .

By the way, Fallout 3 is amazing. I've been disappointed with a lot of games lately, but this is the only game in the past few months that has really impressed me.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users