Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

InstallShield/Windows Installer Issues

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nicolice

Nicolice

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:27 AM

I've the same problem from this:
http://www.mymmogames.net/forum/technical-...ode-issues.html

So, anyone encounter stuff like these?
[image, for example]

Posted Image

It was working fine few months/weeks back.

And it suddenly becomes like that...and it causes the installations to fail since ...it can't write symbols to files/folders name, lol

I'm not sure what I changed, or something to the windows installer/installshield, lol.

Also, if you asked either I've changed my locale, then yes.

Checklist:
- Reset back to english - done
- Restart
- Removes every east asian language support pack - done
- Restart
- Reinstall the pack again - done
- Restart
- Set the locale back - done
- Restart
- Same thing

Even removed/reinstalled:-
- C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information - changed/renamed/removed - done
- Windows Installer 3.1 - reinstall - done.

No idea what happened, I'm suspecting either one of these are the culprit:
- Windows Installer
- InstallShield.

Any suggestions?

Any helps? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:45 PM

If you downloaded this from a torrent, I would suspect a corrupt/incorrect download
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Nicolice

Nicolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think its corrupted, since it was working fine for like, months ago.

When I first reformatted my computer, I can install them just fine, and Windows Installer just installers as usual with proper unicode display.

But now it happened to other unicode installer as well, for any installer that uses installshield/windows installer as their installer.

I'm completely clueless on what actually happened.

Edited by Nicolice, 03 November 2008 - 06:18 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:35 AM

This is the second one of these that we've seen here recently. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...+asian+Language

From what little information there is, I'd suspect:
- corrupted file
- corrupted installer
- corrupted windows

The first step would be to get another copy of the file to see if it still happens then.
After that, you'd have to check on the Windows Installer version and maybe re-register it
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Nicolice

Nicolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:12 PM

Thanks again for the reply.

Installer and files for the setup are fine, since it's works ok at my vista notebook [with region locale set to the east asian language such as Chinese or Japanese]. It just won't work at my Win XP desktop, even with proper region set.

And I did as in this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

Re-register, rename, restart, and re-install windows installer 4.5 again, and restart.

If the installer doesn't use Windows Installer, like using Nullsoft installer or another type of installer, then it will display fine and installations will go fine.

Only those comes setup that requires Windows Installer will have such problem.

Here's an example, of Opera installer [which I just downloaded few minutes ago, even downloaded using other computer too], that I tried to install using Chinese language from the language selection:
Posted Image

Another example of installer that doesn't use Windows Installer as install engine, and it worked fine:
Posted Image

I'll try as what suggested in other thread, such as remove the language pack and try again.

I hope I don't end up just need to reinstall/reformat windows just to installing Unicode based software [which some of them I need it for work], since it's a hassle to reinstall everything back again [software, office, etc]

Thanks!

Edited by Nicolice, 04 November 2008 - 08:19 PM.

#6 Nicolice

Nicolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

I did as what suggested in other thread.

- Changing locale back to english, restart
- Remove east asian language, restart
- Reinstall eas asian language again, restart
- Change back locale to east asian locale such as chinese/japanese, restart
- Run the installer, same output, gibberish text.

I'm seriously clueless on what happened.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:00 AM

Try Dial-A-Fix to reregister the Windows Installer stuff?
Try SFC.EXE /SCANNOW?
Try a repair install of XP (remove IE7 first)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Nicolice

Nicolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:51 PM

Thanks for the reply, and I've tried:

Try Dial-A-Fix to reregister the Windows Installer stuff?

Is it the one with msiexec /unregister and msiexec /regserver ? If so, tried too, but no helps.

Try SFC.EXE /SCANNOW?

No helps too :thumbsup:

Try a repair install of XP (remove IE7 first)?

I'll try this on some other time, as I still have my works and assignments on this pc.

Ugh, that windows installer issue is really pissing me off :flowers:

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:48 PM

A repair install of XP is supposed to leave your programs and data alone.
Read this first for IE7: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964
Then this is the how-to for a repair install: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

#10 Nicolice

Nicolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:10 PM

Ah, ok, thanks.

Oh, my fault, I installed SP 3 on this system, should I uninstall SP 3, and IE 7 afterward? Then proceed to reinstall windows?

Thanks for all the helps.

#11 Nicolice

Nicolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:24 AM

Another question.

I'm currently have p4v8x-x and using SATA HDD, which using VIA chipset.

Now the problem is that whenever I tried to slipstream the VIA RAID drivers [obtained from www.viaarena.com], it will be successfully slipstreamed, by using nlite, selected 32-bit drivers, in text mode.

But whenever I tried to repair the Windows, it keeps on saying HDD was not found? I've already slipstreamed in it with nlite with the SATA RAID drivers for VIA, but it won't detect the HDD.

And I don't have floppy drive.

Any helps? Thanks.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:28 PM

Have you run a hard drive diagnostic?
Have you checked the drive for errors?

#13 Nicolice

Nicolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:29 PM

The drive is completely fine, only the drivers failed to load :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users