Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Computer Completely Frozen!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:53 AM

I have a Sony Vaio running Windows XP Home. I left it on overnight and this morning it was completely frozen. The desktop was there, but the cursor would not move; CTRL-ALT-Delete would not work. I forced it to power down and it said "preparing to hibernate." I turned it back on and it just immediately shut down. I waited awhile and turned it on. Frozen screen. Turned it off. Hibernate message. I tried this several times with the same results.

What could be wrong? How can I fix this? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:13 AM

If you have the recovery CD try accessing the Recovery Console.

Note: You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order to be able to boot from the Windows installation disk.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the]Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.

6. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 923 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:32 AM

Thanks. I'll try this when I get home. Does this result in data loss?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:50 AM

It should not cause any loss of data. Let us know how it goes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 923 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:12 PM

Problem. I think the recovery disc is for Windows Office, not Windows. If I do not have a Windows XP recovery disc is there anything else that I can do?

#6 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 923 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:04 PM

Okay. Disregard the prior message. I found the CD and inserted it into the drive with the computer off. I then turned the computer on. Nothing happened that was not already happening. It went to the frozen desktop. Is there something special I must do to tell the computer to read from the CD drive?

#7 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:15 PM

Go into your BIOS and select CD as the first read Device, Mate!

:thumbsup:

#8 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:18 PM

Post back if you are unsure of how to do it?

#9 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 923 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:00 PM

I can get into BIOS but cannot navigate around. i assume one just uses the arrow keys to go between menus? If so, it's not letting me do that. Any ideas?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:33 PM

The instructions for navigating, changing values...are usually included in the BIOS in the lower right corner.

Louis

#11 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 04:53 PM

What BIOS do you have?

That may help us?

Arrow keys are used, the Esc Key will allow you to exit a section. Then Arrow keys to another press enter at another Section. That is on some BIOS?

You need to get into Boot Section that is normally the second Option?

Use the down key to First Boot? Press enter there, Use page up or down to change options? Select CD then press enter then Esc and go to Save and Exit, by using the arrow keys, press enter then type y on the Prompt.

It then should Boot from the CD.

Edited by Abacus 7, 03 November 2008 - 05:04 PM.

#12 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 923 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:15 AM

UPDATE:

Computer tech came last night. Could not navigate through BIOS. He thinks the problem is that the keyboards and mouse are not working and that at least that portion of the mother board is broken. Assuming that the problem is with the keyboard mouse interface on the mother board a new one would cost at least $500 to purchase and pay to install. Not sure if this is correct, but it sounds like a new computer would be cheaper in the long run rather than replacing the mother board. Does this sound reasonable? Anything else I should consider?

#13 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:35 AM

I would be looking closely at a new Computer, Mate

It would have full Warrantee.

#14 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:37 AM

Thanks to everyone for your help on this. Now, I've got to go sell some blood to buy a new computer!

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:48 AM

I'd be looking for a new computer tech.

A $500 motherboard sounds more than excessive to me...outrageous if you don't have a latest/greatest system.

For reference purposes only: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.as...el-Motherboards

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users